Join our Board of Trustees
ADD International is seeking new Trustees, including a new Chair or Co-Chairs, to serve on its Board. This is a very exciting opportunity for new Trustees to help to shape a transformational phase of ADD’s work.
Following a thorough and inclusive organisational review and reimagination process with partners from disability movements in Africa and Asia, ADD is undertaking a transformation process to shift the focus of decision-making power from the global north to our partners and people with disabilities in the global south.
In line with this commitment, ADD is intent on demonstrating its commitment to its values and strengthening the effectiveness of its Board membership to reflect this, including increasing the representation of disabled activists from the global south. These opportunities are therefore reserved for disabled, black, indigenous or people of colour from the global south.
- Remuneration: there is no remuneration for this voluntary role, but reasonable expenses are covered including travel, when/if required.
- Commitment: approximately 12 days a year
What are we looking for in potential Trustees?
ADD is seeking candidates with lived experience of disability in the global south and with experience of disability activism in the global south.
While, as emphasised, ADD is seeking Trustees with lived experience of disability from the global south, it does not expect all candidates to embody all the desirable attributes outlined below, but would welcome applications where individuals can offer the essential requirements with a knowledge of at least two of the desirable requirements.
We aim amongst those we recruit to also find a new Chair or pair of Co-Chairs.
In line with our new Young Leaders Programme, ADD would also welcome some of our new Trustees being young people to broaden the lived experience we can draw on.
We would like new Trustees to have the following:
- Being black, indigenous or a person of colour with lived experience of disability and from the global south
- An understanding of the global disability movement, disability rights, the respect and dignity of persons with disabilities, and the social and human rights model of disability
- An appreciation and understanding of good governance and the role of the Board
- Knowledge of the disability movement in one of ADD’s main countries is particularly welcome (Cambodia, Bangladesh, Sudan, Uganda or Tanzania);
- Understanding of organisational development and change management
- Experience in the disability movement, sector or organisation dedicated to fighting poverty and social exclusion
- Appropriate personal motivation to act as a trustee, sensitivity to the nature of the responsibilities, and understanding/empathy with the values and aspirations of ADD
- Ability to question intelligently, think strategically, debate and dialogue constructively, challenge rigorously, bring independence of thought and decide dispassionately
- Ability to listen sensitively to the views of others, inside and outside the Board, to work well with difference, be a team player and gain the trust and respect of other Board and senior management team members
- Openness to reflect and learn as a Trustee
- Willingness to devote time, enthusiasm and effort to the duties and responsibilities of a trustee
For more information on the role and what is required please visit our website: https://add.org.uk/add-trustees
How to apply:
Please visit our website: https://add.org.uk/add-trustees