Context Analysis & Stakeholder Mapping of Private Sector Democracy Initiatives in India
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Scope of Work
The Asia-Pacific team at the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) seeks a short-term consultant to assess and explain the actual and potential roles of the Indian private sector in strengthening democratic governance and inclusive development both domestically and in the South Asia region. Relevant private sector institutions will likely include, but may not be limited to business associations, economic think tanks, corporate governance institutes, and civil society organizations. The Consultant will document the current stakeholder landscape in India, providing both descriptive and prescriptive analysis, and will develop actionable recommendations for potential opportunities for programmatic interventions by CIPE in India.
The Consultant will work under the supervision of the designated CIPE Asia Program Officer.
The Consultant activities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct context analysis and stakeholder mapping of private sector democracy initiatives in India, identifying actual and potential roles of the Indian private sector in strengthening democracy and unlocking inclusive growth (actual initiatives already unfolding), as well as potential roles of the private sector in new This context analysis and stakeholder mapping will identify stakeholders with interest and expertise in the subject.
Upon successful completion of the context analysis and stakeholder mapping, produce and submit a comprehensive yet concise report that
Assesses and explains the evolving but inherent relationship between private enterprise and democratic governance in India
Assesses and explains the role of the Indian private sector in promoting democratic governance in India and across South Asia
Documents ongoing efforts led by the Indian private sector to strengthen market-oriented democracy in India and the region, highlighting those efforts that would become more effective with CIPE involvement
Proposes actionable recommendations for potential new programming in the country and region
Identifies stakeholders and potential partners in India. Relevant private sector institutions will likely include, but may not be limited to business associations, economic think tanks, corporate governance institutes, and civil society organizations
Provides an assessment of potential challenges and risks associated with CIPE programmatic interventions in India
Required/Desired Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Graduate or post-graduate degree in International Development, Political Science, Economics, Sociology, Public Policy, Business, or related field
- In-depth knowledge of the Indian, South Asian, and regional political, social and economic dynamics
- Expert ability to translate research findings into actionable ideas for use in CIPE program design
- Expertise in private enterprise led democracy assistance programming
- Familiarity with CIPE’s key program areas (enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade)
- Excellent communication skills in English, and ideally Indian languages
How to apply:
How to Apply
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “India Consultant _ [Last Name]”. The submission must include the following:
- A maximum two-page statement of interest that explains the consultant’s relevant background, education, expertise and research and analysis skills, as well as per day consulting rate in USD
Submissions will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis until a consultant is selected.