FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
INFORMATION SECURITY TECHNOLOGIST
Information Security Program
Multiple Locations Considered
Application Deadline: April 11, 2021
The Information Security Program of Human Rights Watch (HRW) supports the organization in responding to near- and far-term security threats, incorporating security into our existing processes and architecting new ones, and ensuring that HRW makes informed decisions about the responsible use of technology.
The Information Security Program is seeking an Information Security Technologist to work on securing HRW’s internal system. This position will work closely with IT and stakeholders across HRW to ensure systems and processes have technical security controls in place that are responsive to our threat landscape while also meeting our operational, ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements. The Technologist will also work in collaboration with the wider HRW security team to conduct incident handling and investigations, and as time allows work on researching and writing content related to organizational security. This position can be based in multiple locations with a preference for working hours that overlap with the US Eastern time zone. The Technologist reports to the Associate Director for Information Security based in Berlin.
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are currently closed or operating in reduced capacities. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely in the interim. We recognize that this moment, during the pandemic, is a uniquely difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
Your primary focus will be to work with solutions in our portfolio which deal with:
• Identity and Access Management – (Azure Active Directory – AAD)
• Threat Protection – (Advanced Threat Analytics, Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, Office 365 Threat Protection and Threat Intelligence),
• Information Protection – (Azure Information Protection, Office 365 Data Loss Prevention, Microsoft Cloud App Security, Office 365 Advanced Security Management, Microsoft Intune)
• Security Management – (Azure Security Centre, Office 365 Security and Compliance Centre, Windows Defender Advanced Security Centre).
- Identify, prioritize, investigate, classify, and guide remediation of information security incidents.
- Work on proof of- concept (POC) and production deployments
- Research the secure use of existing and future technologies with regards to how their use impacts human rights organizations and workers.
- Evaluates and either implements or guides implementation of effective countermeasures to defend against unauthorized access to HRW systems, networks, and data.
- Test and advise IT on the deployment and maintenance of their systems and software, including, but not limited to, incident response.
- Assist with technical and security emergencies as needed; troubleshoot and work with other members of the security team, IT, and affected HRW staff to resolve issues.
- Support the development, performance, and automation of regular security focused system/process audits, coordinate corrective actions to security posture, and provide ongoing key metrics on these programs.
- As time allows, the Technologist may also serve as a resource for technical knowledge, assistance, and investigative collaboration for HRW’s research and technology teams
- Create and maintain high quality, accurate, and in-depth data and documents on information security processes, technologies, and/or related coverage areas
- Review and provide security inputs on software procurement process including in house technology solutions, off the shelf software products, and/or contracted software development.
- Advise on the development of information security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures.
- Help identify gaps in existing security architecture and recommend improvements and advise on countermeasures; and
- Perform other duties as may be required.
A level of education that when combined with your professional experience will adequately show you have the capability to contribute meaningfully to HRW’s information security program.
Candidates who have relevant academic degrees or security certifications are encouraged to apply, but this is a plus – not a requirement.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience including using and deploying Microsoft solutions (Defender ATP, Azure AD, Azure Information Protection etc.);
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Proven experience deploying and providing technical support for security solutions;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and adjust to changing priorities;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required, fluency or proficiency in additional languages (particularly French) is desirable; and
- Experience with Azure applications, Azure cloud VM configuration and deployment.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers comprehensive compensation and benefits. HRW can offer a relocation assistance package and immigration support for this role if required, and people of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
How to apply:
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or before April 11 2021, by visiting our online job portal at careers.hrw.org. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.