Amref Health Africa was founded in 1957 and has since grown to become the largest African-based international health development organisation. Currently, Amref implements more than 120 programmes across 35 countries and directly reaching more than 12 million people annually. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in nine African countries namely – Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa, Senegal, South Sudan, and Zambia. Additionally, there are eleven advocacy and fundraising offices across Europe and North America.
With the bold vision of catalysing “Lasting health change in Africa”, the organisation prioritises transformation aimed at bridging the gap between communities’ needs and the rest of the health system. The organisation’s mission is to increase sustainable health services through innovative solutions in training, quality service delivery, and health financing. To catalyse desired change, Amref deploys a series of process-based and cross cutting drivers namely advocacy and policy, research, innovation, youth, diversity and inclusion.
To deepen, expand, and accelerate its impact, Amref is seeking part time Technical Experts to work with its thematic technical teams (organised as communities of practice). Through this engagement, it is expected that Amref will achieve technical excellence, growth, and deeper impact across Africa.
Scope of Work and Deliverables
The Technical Expert will contribute towards deepening and expanding Amref’s Policy engagement and advocacy capacity to catalyse desired health systems strengthening and impact across Africa. The Technical expert’s scope of work will be to:
- Strengthen Amref’s advocacy programme and the policy and advocacy community of practice with multilevel experience (global, regional, and national) to inform Amref’s internal thinking and strategies around our core advocacy issues.
- Share multi-disciplinary knowledge and understanding of the advocacy landscape, including policies, actors, decision-making, and accountability processes at diverse levels.
- Share advocacy skills and experience, including Human Rights-Based Approach to advocacy with diverse audiences (decision makers – governments’ technocrat, donors, private sector, community leaders).
- Provide civil-society convening, and multi-stakeholder engagement experience at global, regional and national levels with policy makers (public and private institutions; research and academia; religious and social leaders).
- Share best practices in institutional capacity-strengthening through evidence to inform advocacy.
- Influence and thought leadership through methods such as engagement and technical briefs, geared towards catalysing desired policy change.
- Recognised expert with ability to engage effectively and shape dialogue in global, regional, and national fora on health policies and advocacy.
- Demonstrable ability in designing policies and advocacy strategies, toolkits, policy briefs, accountability tools and investment cases.
- Excellent understanding of national, regional and global policy landscape and emerging issues in relation to Amref focus areas.
- Demonstrable understanding of regional and global treaty making bodies and processes.
- Master’s degree in Social Studies/Public Health (PhD Preferred) or relevant background. The candidate should have demonstrable experience working across health, policy and advocacy sectors and/or with a health system strengthening.
How to apply:
Interested? Please visit our website https://amref.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Lot-8.-Technical-Expert-Policy-and-Advocacy.pdf to view the Terms of Reference. Bid documents must be submitted to EOI@amref.org and to be received on or before Wednesday May 04, 2022 at 12:00 noon (EAT). Late tenders will be rejected. Only shortlisted bidders will be contacted.