VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone, so that each person has the health care needed to thrive. We develop solutions that improve equity and access to primary health care. This includes making sure products are available when and where they are needed and primary health care services are delivered to the most under-reached. Radical collaboration with governments, the private sector and other partners strengthen our ability to scale and sustain these solutions. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 70 million people in Africa. VillageReach in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
VillageReach is seeking a Staff Accountant to work in the US from the East Coast (preferably from Maryland, WA DC, New York, or Virginia) with primary responsibility for monthly, quarterly and year-end accounting, compliance, and consolidation of our Country Offices. This position serves as a technical resource to the Finance teams in each country as well as the key point of consolidation for the global accounting records.
Accounting Duties Supporting US and Global Teams (66%) – Each country office transmits detailed transaction reports to our centralized accounting team on a monthly basis along with supporting documentation. Under the direction of the Controller, and in strong partnership with the finance teams in each Country Office, the Staff Accountant performs the following duties:
- Ensures that Country Office transactions meet the standards of U.S. GAAP-compliant fund accounting.
- Performs monthly allocations based on timesheet data and labor utilization by location.
- Performs Country Office foreign currency exchange during monthly translation and conversion processes.
- Performs monthly consolidation and reconciles specific balance sheet accounts within the HQ accounting system.
- Communicates constantly and clearly to secure and maintain a strong partnership and spirit of collaboration across the global finance team.
- Reviews and processes Concur expense and credit card requests.
- Assists with month end close duties.
- Provides backup and support to other finance staff as needed.
- Reviews transaction substantiation and performs an internal audit to ensure back-up supports the costs, allocation, and contains the proper sign-offs required.
- Ensures that appropriate supporting documents for Country Offices are maintained in an organized and auditable manner, electronically and in paper form, as appropriate.
- Reviews trends and provides analysis and input to key stakeholders to improve award compliance, simplify policies and procedures, and monitor and mitigate risks.
- Reconciles fixed assets between the Country Office’s subledger and centralized records.
- Performs final reconciliations and ensures USD conversion is complete.
- Ensures that all year end closing entries are communicated to each Country Office and are recorded on their ledgers.
- Assist with annual financial and single audit preparation.
Process Improvement (33%)
- Assists with systems improvements, upgrades, or conversions as needed.
- Assists in development and maintenance of SOPs documenting routine operations and makes recommendations for improvements and efficiencies to existing processes.
- Implements accounting methodology changes and provides feedback to inform the overall system to increase compliance while simplifying.
- Automates data feeds into calculations to decrease manual work and reduce errors.
- Reviews and provides feedback on Chart of Accounts architecture to improve internal and external reporting, with an eye for simplification.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting or related field, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 3+ years of accounting experience, with international bookkeeping preferred.
- Technical expert in U.S. GAAP for nonprofits required.
- Systems Implementation experience preferred.
- Comply with VillageReach’s COVID-19 vaccination policy which requires full vaccination for in-person work or travel.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Quickbooks Online skills preferred.
- Sage Intacct experience preferred.
- Intermediate Excel skills required; advanced Excel skills preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- French or Portuguese fluency highly desirable.
- Eligibility to work in the USA.
Environment and Physical Demands:
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our USA office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, we have established core collaboration hours between 6am Pacific Time and 18:00 South Africa Time (GMT+1) Monday through Thursday. All staff, regardless of location are expected to be available between these hours. During Daylight Savings Time, this allows for 12 hours per week (3 hours/day) of collaboration time and during Standard Time, 8 hours (2 hours/day). We do not hold cross-office meetings on Friday.
This position requires that prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most under-reached and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/. In your cover letter, please address (1)Why you are interested in this position, (2)What is one reason you think you’d be a good fit for this position and, (3)what is one strength you would bring to this position?
The hiring process will include the following steps:
- Review submitted applications
- Conduct 20-30 minute screening interviews for shortlisted candidates
- Conduct skills and value-based interviews for 3-5 candidates.
- Request that top candidates submit a practical assessment (designed to take no more than two hours to complete). Sometimes the assignment will occur before the interview.
- Conduct final interview if necessary
- Request references
- Make offer
- Conduct background check
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, but candidates who proceed to step 2 will be notified if they are not chosen for step 3.
VillageReach is committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults, and beneficiaries with whom it engages. We expect everyone working with us to share this commitment through our code of conduct.All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which may include criminal records. VillageReach participates in the Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and, in line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Compensation & Benefits:
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. The range for this position is $64,400 to $77,200. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history. Please refer to our compensation overview on our website for more information and for more information on employee benefits.