Country: South Sudan
Organization: Legal Action Worldwide
Closing date: 24 Jan 2021
LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. We have a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, natural resource exploitation, rule of law and accountability, and transformative justice, working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international and local media coverage, and recognition.
LAW is currently working with national NGOs on two projects in South Sudan focusing on access to justice for victims of GBV, the Women Peace and Security agenda and transitional justice. In 2021, LAW will lead the implementation of a third project targeting gender inequality and aiming at strengthening accountability for gender-based violence through high level women led advocacy, mentoring of community champions and provision of legal aid.
If you are passionate, committed, human-rights oriented professional looking for your next challenge, join us as the Project Coordinator. You will be based in Juba, South Sudan and be supported by LAW’s South Sudan Programme Manager. As the project coordinator, you will be our focal person engaging and networking with our partners, taking the lead in implementation of activities to ensure the achievement of project objectives and delivery of project outputs.
Reports to: Duration:
South Sudan Programme Manager January 2021 – June 2023
Juba, South Sudan Full-time / approx. 20 days per month
The Project Coordinator will perform activities in accordance with the objectives set out below:
• Coordinate and provide guidance to national partner organisations and their staffs on implementation of their activities and responsibilities under the project.
• Design and monitor the project workplan and each organisation’s workplans, and deadlines for activities to be implemented, in collaboration with the South Sudan programme manager.
• Support the partners’ activities and in particular identify members of the target groups to participate to the activities, participate to the design and monitor implementation of the activities’ concept notes and guidelines and the design and implementation of the project advocacy strategy.
• Supervise partner organisations to ensure they are delivering within their contractual terms and in a timely manner, including timely and complete submission of financial, narrative and activity reports.
• Ensure regular reviews and adjustments are reflected on operational matters to maximise optimum results.
• Identify issues, barriers and bring these to management in a timely manner and propose solutions and alternative strategies for achieving results.
• Liaise with relevant governmental stakeholders
• Represent LAW at working groups and cluster-coordination mechanisms and submit reports and prepare presentation on LAW’s work.
• Support partner organisations, on technical and financial aspects of project operation, including submission of budgets for the conduct of activities, monitoring of project activities and their outcomes; as well as minutes, decisions and recommendations of meetings and workshops.
• Manage the logistics and coordination of meetings, field missions, workshops, trainings for project staff, trips to South Sudan of LAW staff and other project-related activities led by LAW.
• Establish collaborative relationships and partnerships with relevant agencies, NGOs and government institutions, to exchange information and ensure coordination and a wider and sustainable reach of the project impact.
• Participate and lead on recommendation to expand LAW’s projects and influence in its programming in South Sudan.
• Collate, store and submit monthly project progress and implementation reports and provide monthly updates on the project indicators and LAW global indicators.
• Update regularly the programme manager on any relevant contextual development (political, economic, judicial, security, etc.).
• Keep a record of all project documentation, including updating the Sharepoint database on a monthly basis.
• Coordinate activities with vendors and suppliers and maintaining relationships with them.
• Contribute to and coordinate the creation and sharing of knowledge products by summarizing and documenting results, lessons learned and good practices from the implementation of the project.
• Support with the smooth running of the LAW office in South Sudan.
• Undertake other assignments as may be requested by the Programme Manager and LAW management.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required:**
· Must be South Sudanese with no criminal record.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree with a background in law, humanitarian, development, or human rights
· 5 years demonstrated experience in development work preferably in programme or project management including advocacy, monitoring and evaluation and managing a budget.
· Substantive knowledge and practical experience in legal aid services, working with vulnerable communities and in gender programming.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and in Arabic with the ability to clearly articulate information to various audiences including donors and government stakeholders
· Good knowledge and understanding of the government and UN systems particularly in the social development areas
· Track record and experience working and engaging with stakeholders/players at all level.
· Strong results orientation, with proven experience in using results-based management tools
· Good analytical and strategic thinking and sound judgment; team building and advocacy skills.
· Experience in programme/project planning from concept design, follow-up, monitoring and evaluation
· Strong verbal and written communications skills to work independently and in teams
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong technical literacy;
Regional travel will be required.
How to apply:
Deadline for applications: 24th January 2021
Start date: Immediate start / February 2021
To learn more about us visit our website: http://www.legalactionworldwide.org
How to Apply:
If your personal goals are aligned with ours to deliver access to justice to those who need it most – victims and survivors of human rights violations and abuses in conflict-affected and fragile environments we would like to hear from you.
Please send an email with your CV and a statement of interest (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English before 24th January 2021 to: email@example.com.
The subject of the application should read ‘**Project Coordinator South Sudan**’
· Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be invited for interviews.
· LAW is an equal opportunity employer.