Who we are:
MSA is a socially-driven global consulting firm. We provide innovative solutions for the private sector, government and civil society to improve, measure, and communicate the economic and social impacts of their investments. We believe market dynamics have a strong impact on how people live their lives. Our vision is to improve economic systems in order to reduce poverty. We recognize complexity and as such, use a systems approach to design solutions that work within dynamic environments. We work collaboratively with our clients, serving as brokers of creativity to help catalyze systemic change.
Who we want:
MSA seeks a driven professional with strong experience in promoting learning, data collection and data driven decision making practices for economic development, private sector engagement, and/or market systems experience to join the team in the position of Senior Specialist, Learning in either the Denver, Washington, DC, Nairobi, London, Toronto, Ottawa, or remote.
The successful applicant will spend the majority of their time working directly with clients on learning, data collection and measurement practices, building client capacity for learning, promoting thought leadership around learning and measurement practices in economic development, private sector engagement and/or market systems development, and managing client and internal learning agendas in this area. MSA is growing – this opportunity offers significant potential for the successful candidate to grow with us, assuming progressively greater responsibility with MSA.
The nature of the role:
This is a full-time position that will supported by the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Practice Lead. The position will be about 75 – 85% technical i.e. client work; 10% business development, and 5-10% internal operations and strategy. The role is designed to support someone’s professional growth within MSA and to find someone who wants to learn and grow within our firm.
- Degree in economics, finance, international development or other related social science field.
- At least 6 years of significant experience in market systems, private sector engagement, trade, economic growth, impact investing and/or inclusive business programming in emerging economies.
- Experience providing technical support and/or managing international development projects – preferably with large bi-laterals including but not limited to USAID, FCDO, and/or multi-lateral organizations.
- Strong primary and secondary research experience including applied research design and implementation.
- Experience designing and implementing mix-method learning and monitoring systems.
- Demonstrated capability to mentor and comfort building the capacity of teams.
- Experience with project management functions, such as managing budgets, managing local consultants, and following donor rules and regulations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including experience drafting reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work and build relationships with team members and clients from diverse backgrounds.
Other desired characteristics:
- Graduate degree in economics, finance, international development or another relevant social science
- Experience with leading private foundations, DFID, or USAID specifically in market systems development, economic development or private sector development projects.
- Experience supporting or leading MEL work on USAID-funded projects.
- Experience working for a consulting firm and managing consulting projects.
- Experience designing and leading trainings.
- Proficiency in another language, preferably written and oral Arabic, French, Spanish, and/or Portuguese.
- Experience working and living in developing countries
Other information: This is a salaried, full-time position that will report to a Practice Lead. It will require approximately 25-35% travel. The position will be based in either the Denver, Washington DC, Nairobi or London. For reference, the salary range for this position is $60,000 – $85,000 USD if Denver based. Salary is based on previous experience, capability and location.
How to apply:
Deadline to apply is May 10, 2021. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please
send your current CV to email@example.com, indicating the position title
“Senior Specialist, Learning” in the subject line.
Please include your salary expectations in a separate PDF file.
Please also include a cover letter (maximum one page) explaining your interest in this role and answering the following questions:
- What do you see as the most important recent innovation in Learning?
- List the three things, in order of impact, that you would bring to MSA to take us to the next level.
- Which of our values most resonates with you, and why?
- What professional achievement are you most proud of?
- Are you legally authorized to work in the United States? If not, where are you authorized to work?
- What is your location preference?
- Where did you learn about this role?