The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a disaggregated data collection, analysis, and crisis mapping project. The ACLED team conducts analysis to describe, explore, and test conflict scenarios and makes both data and analysis open for free use by the public. ACLED material is regularly used to inform journalism, academic research, and public discourse on conflict, and to support the work of practitioners and policymakers. ACLED is the highest quality and most widely used real-time data and analysis source on political violence and protest around the world.
ACLED is recruiting a Senior Finance Manager to oversee financial operations at ACLED. This is a full-time position. It is fully remote and can be done from any location with reliable internet service. The start date for this position is as soon as possible. This position reports to the Director of Programs and Operations.
Please note that only those with the legal authorization to work in the US (citizenship, permanent residence, or work permit) can apply, even if they do not plan to be residing in the US. For more information, please review the Applicant FAQs.
- Monthly financial closes and other periodic reporting for internal and external stakeholders;
- Enhance and oversee the implementation of finance department plans, policies and procedures by the finance department;
- Train clerical and professional accounting staff in the finance department;
- Oversee the daily workflow of the department;
- Provide constructive and timely performance evaluations;
Specific roles and responsibilities:
- Support the Director of Programs and Operations in the enhancement and pursuit of ACLED business model and objectives as they relate to financial management and sustainable growth;
- Lead in the development and maintenance of ACLED financial policies and procedures as well as ensure strict adherence to them;
- Lead annual budget and rolling forecast process;
- Partner with the Operations team to maximize allocable costs amongst various programs
- Perform or oversee all financial transactions including vendor payments, employee/contractor reimbursements, and co-manage PEO relationship and activities with Human Resources;
- Support administration of staff benefits in collaboration with the Human Resources department;
- Prepare, review and distribute financial reports internally and externally;
- Present financial reports in Finance Committee and Board of Directors meetings;
- Oversee financial/budget management of all projects and programs, liaising with the Senior Program Manager and Director of Programs and Operations;
- Oversee all bookkeeping and accounting functions;
- Liaise with external accountant and financial consultants and serve as point of contact for audits and tax filings;
- Lead audit engagements and ensure successful completion of all audits
- Ensure compliance with grant and federal regulations in all ACLED activities;
- Provide support for Human Resources department where relevant;
- Other duties as required.
- Fluency in English and strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency with accounting software (Quickbooks), spreadsheets and data management systems;
- Proficiency with financial analysis software and tools, includingespecially Jirav;
- Understanding of compliance measures for US and European government donors;
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities;
- Enthusiastic and comfortable handling administrative tasks when required;
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision;
Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree in business, nonprofit financial management, accounting, or a related field;
- Five or more years of experience managing nonprofit finances;
- CPA certification (Preferred).
How to apply:
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience.
Further information on the project is available online at acleddata.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early. Please make sure to check your spam folder for correspondence.