iMMAP Inc. is an international Non-Governmental Organization that provides Information Management (IM) services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through IM, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions, and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP Inc.’s critical support to information value chains helps solve our partners’ operational and strategic challenges in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
Afghanistan has been in protracted conflict for over 40 years, negatively impacting the people. While the overall level of conflict has now dropped, the economic instability worsening livelihood and political realities in Afghanistan have exacerbated humanitarian needs. Humanitarian actors in Afghanistan now face difficult access restrictions, which has complicated the operational context. In addition, the country suffers from intense and recurring natural hazards of varying length and severity, such as floods, drought, earthquakes, etc., which threaten lives, livelihoods, and properties.
iMMAP provides accurate, relevant, and timely analytics and information to the humanitarian community in Afghanistan for coordination, disaster risk reduction (DRR), and emergency response purposes. iMMAP is also expanding the capacity-building component of the Afghanistan programs through the humanitarian data literacy activity. iMMAP’s objective is to ensure humanitarian actors have access to quality and accessible data, and information platforms that enhance decision-making and strengthen the data literacy capacity of the local humanitarian partners, thereby promoting localization efforts in the humanitarian community.
Scope of Work
As part of iMMAP Inc.’s ongoing efforts to maintain support for the humanitarian partners in Afghanistan, we are seeking a Senior Developer to lead the development of two platforms, Humanitarian Spatial Data Center (HSDC) and ReportHub. The role requires knowledge of Python, Django, GeoNode, and other geospatial data harvesting and processing technologies, as well as cloud computing infrastructure and a modern web development stack. The Developer, under the supervision of the Information Systems Coordinator, will ensure the delivery and maintenance of the ReportHub and HSDC platforms to the partners according to iMMAP Inc. standards.
Note: This is a remote position that requires the candidate to work according to the working hours (timezone), days (Sun-Thu), and holidays of the Afghanistan program. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring effective communication and collaboration with the team and partners while working remotely.This contract is for six months (starting on 13 Nov 2023) with the possibility of an extension (up to 30 June 2025).
Description of Duties
- Work as part of the Information Systems (IS) team to ensure that the support requirements of iMMAP Inc.’s partners through ReportHub and HSDC are met quickly and efficiently.
- Integrate APIs and ensure interoperability with other platforms to improve the user experience of systems with the latest UI/UX design trends and technologies and incorporate them into the platforms.
- Create and maintain detailed documentation of the UI/UX design and development process, including design specifications, wireframes, and user flow diagrams.
- Coordinate with the Information Management (IM) team to identify/resolve issues and bugs.
- Support collaboration with the Information Management Working Group and partners to understand user requirements, identify user needs and pain points, and provide solutions to improve the user experience.
- Support the development team in testing scripts and debugging reports.
- Help establish and maintain the Agile PM method of SCRUM and work with PM tools such as Jira for planning, feedback, and issue tracking.
- Document and continuously update technical documentation of iMMAP Inc. applications.
- Lead software testing process to ensure that applications meet quality and performance standards.
- Continuously monitor trends on innovations for improving functionality, efficiency, and user experience of iMMAP Inc. ReportHub and HSDC.
- Work closely with the IM team to ensure that applications and tools are aligned with strategy and objectives.
- Perform any additional duties that the Information Systems Coordinator may assign.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest web development technologies, trends, and best practices.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Full Stack Developer.
- 5+ years of experience developing web applications.
- 5+ years of experience working with database administration management.
- Knowledge of multiple back-end languages and frameworks (e.g., C#, Java, Python)
- Experience building scalable data models and performing complex relational database queries using SQL (Oracle, Postgres, etc.).
- Knowledge of integration and web services technologies such as Amazon Web Service or other cloud-based computing solutions.
- Knowledge of Linux Server.
- Knowledge of Agile project management methodologies (e.g., Scrum).
- Knowledge of web mapping server solutions, especially using GeoServer or MapServer is desirable
- Knowledge of development or humanitarian sectors.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and attention to detail
- Flexible and adaptable to any situation.
- Self-reliant and able to work independently.
- Professional working proficiency (written and verbal) in English.
- Willingness to work with people from a wide range of professional and personal backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with 5 years of experience will be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP Inc.’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP Inc. has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.
Starting date: ASAP
Home based position
Duration of contract: 6 months
iMMAP may end this recruitment before its closing date.
How to apply
Interested by the offer ? Please apply through: https://careers.immap.org/jobs/1192