Senior Designer (Remote Friendly)
At Toolhouse, designers take a leading role in developing compelling creative around our clients’ products and the markets they serve. This role requires expertise in visual design, prototyping, user experience and user interface design as well as a solid understanding of the client-side technologies that transform our ideas into experiences.
Our work includes websites, web applications, mobile applications, email marketing, online articles, social posts, streaming videos and animation. We strive to establish smart, creative approaches for each assignment.
Being successful in this role requires working collaboratively in cross-disciplinary teams alongside strategists, account directors, project managers, copywriters, designers and developers.
- Create visual design that effectively communicates product benefits, functionality, and brand identity. This includes wireframing, design and production of screen layouts, color palettes, typography, user interface elements, and icons.
- Evangelize and support holistic user-centered design approaches (requires understanding of user-centered design methodologies and principles).
- Be able to communicate conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale, both verbally and visually.
- Create documentation and standards for design systems, patterns, and components, including design specifications, storyboards, scenarios, and prototypes etc.
- Recommend appropriate uses of motion graphics or micro animations.
- Work closely with engineers to ensure the feasibility of designs and to maintain the fidelity of final builds.
- Collaborate with other designers and creative leadership to evangelize new interface approaches and design patterns.
- Facilitate internal design reviews and offer feedback to continuously improve our work.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- BFA in Design, Visual Design, User Interface Design, or an equivalent design degree.
- A solid portfolio demonstrating range across multiple digital properties, from high-level-concepts to the technically developed tactics in execution.
- 3+ years of digital design, UX, UI, and digital-art-direction (Preferably with some agency or in a similar client services like environment.).
- Proficient knowledge in tools such as Sketch/Figma, Adobe Creative Cloud, InVision, and/or other rapid prototyping platforms.
- An impeccable understanding of style-guides, typography, grid-systems, color, illustration, photographic composition, branding and identity-systems.
- A fanatic attention to detail towards the creation of pixel-perfect layouts, design-systems, UI elements, imagery, and iconography.
- Has familiarity with content management systems (Adobe Experience Manager or similar CMS like platforms.) and accessibility requirements when designing digital user experiences.
- Is comfortable in presenting creative, approach & rationale to stakeholders and working with diverse sets of feedback to better inform design decisions.
- Ability to self-manage and stay on top of the details across multiple projects.
- Production skills in motion design, animation and illustration are a massive plus.
About Toolhouse, Inc.
Toolhouse is fundamentally changing how leading life science companies use technology to build meaningful connections with patients and physicians.
Healthcare marketing is changing, and customer expectations have evolved. Every external experience a brand delivers starts with an internal one that’s driven by corporate culture, designed to fit specific capabilities, and informed by data. We’re a diverse team of digital experts helping clients find their path in this new digital landscape. We fuse creativity with technology, keeping our work grounded in what matters most, people.
Our work is focused in three distinct areas:
- Digital Transformation: helping clients evolve and modernize their approach to digital marketing
- Digital Engagement: creating digital experiences that connect with patients and physicians
- Campaign Optimization: guiding our client’s continued success with data-driven insights
We’re headquartered in Bellingham, Washington with a studio that’s just steps away from Bellingham Bay, which is nestled between the rugged Cascade mountains and stunning San Juan islands. It’s the perfect mix of small town tranquility with easy access to big town amenities. Our remote-friendly hybrid work model allows employees to work in our Bellingham studio or from the comfort of home (or any random coffee shop or beach villa for that matter).
Toolhouse is an equal opportunity employer that’s been in business for over 25 years. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Our offices are currently closed due to COVID-19 health concerns, and all employees are working remotely. Our team’s health and safety is our number one priority. We will reopen our Bellingham studio when it is safe to do so; at that time you may continue to work remotely or work in our Bellingham office at your preference.