Organization: NEAR (Hosted by Adeso – African Development Solutions)
Position: Senior Communications Specialist
Reporting To: Advocacy Officer
Working With: NEAR’s Leadership Council (i.e. Board of Directors); NEAR Secretariat
Duty Station: Remote (although ideally around GMT time zone)
Duration: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
Starting Date: As soon as possible
NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response) is a movement of Global South civil society organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships. NEAR’s vision is a world where local communities have the resources and agency to address the challenges that impact them. NEAR is currently hosted by Adeso, an African based international development and humanitarian organization. Adeso and NEAR both aspire to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: Influencing policy change and enacting systemic change through innovative solutions led by local and national actors.
NEAR is currently recruiting a Senior Communications Specialist. S/he will join a small team of professionals and bring strategic and operational direction and implementation to NEAR’s internal and external communication work. The purpose of the position is to ensure efficient internal and external communication output with a specific focus on producing content for our advocacy and influencing work. S/he will manage and further develop NEAR’s communication strategy and tools (social media, website, newsletter, op-eds, briefings, etc.) while ensuring NEARs work is shared amongst various audiences.
The Senior Communications Specialist will serve as a key member of staff to contribute to NEAR influencing work, ensuring that both NEAR’s members voices are heard, while increasing external visibility. S/he will also develop and manage NEARs communications to ensure NEAR is well positioned and represented in the relevant spaces. S/he will work with our members, allies, coalitions and partners across our influencing and innovative practice portfolios globally.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Advocacy & Communications Strategies
· Finalize NEAR Communications Strategy to align with the 2021-2023 strategic objectives. **
· Review and update branding handbook and materials and ensure that they are implemented by internal stakeholders**
· Support in the design and development of NEAR’s Advocacy strategy**
· Produce high-quality external communication materials including, but not limited to, op-eds, statements and briefings based on strong evidence-based messaging to support NEAR’s influencing and innovative practice work, in coordination with key internal and external stakeholders.
· Liaise with key internal stakeholders to ensure communication materials are well positioned amongst relevant outlets (digital media and websites.) and partners.
· With support from NEAR’s Program Officer, liaise with key internal stakeholders to coordinate and develop communication materials for NEAR and partner events.
· Develop a calendar of key internal and external events on an annual basis.
· In collaboration with NEAR’s management and MEAL officer, provide quality and appropriate contributions to proposals and donor narrative reports.
· Support NEAR staff to further position key messaging amongst different development, humanitarian and peace building spaces to ensure greater visibility.
· Support NEAR leadership (including NEAR ED & Leadership Council) by drafting key speeches and external presentations.
· Support Learning and Knowledge Advisor in developing internal written and audio-visual communication material for the South-to-South Platform.
· Support NEAR members in exchanging and communicating within the South-to-South Platform, in coordination with key internal stakeholders.
· Support members to improve story telling ability for both internal and external communication material.
Design & Administration
· Manage NEAR’s Social Media outlets, while ensuring increased and meaningful engagement with members and broader audience.
· Maintain and further develop the NEAR website, along with key internal stakeholders.
· Coordinate and manage the production and dissemination of NEAR Monthly Newsletters
· Support NEAR management in strengthening internal communication flows across various portfolios.
· Organize translation of key documents in NEAR’s main languages (Spanish, French and Arabic), while supporting members efforts to translate any additional NEAR documentation in their native language.
· Any other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· Post-graduate degree in a relevant field (Communications, Public Policy, International Relations) with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience. Experience within the humanitarian and/or development sectors an advantage.
· Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities.
· Demonstrated capacity in delivering quality content and material under tight deadlines.
· Experience of supporting high level event communication activity.
· Strong ability to write articles, briefings, reports and official correspondence.
· Knowledge of the Localization Agenda & deep knowledge and understanding of challenges faced by Global South actors is an asset.
· Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision.
· Ability to work with a multi-cultured team across time zones. Flexibility in working schedules.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to liaise with both internal and external stakeholders.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Knowledge of Social media management tools, Photoshop, Premier Pro and other design and editing platforms highly desirable.
· French, Arabic or Spanish at a proficiency level would be desirable.
How to apply:
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th May 2021 with Senior Communications Specialist on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive.
Each application package should include the following:
· Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information. The letter should be no longer than one page
· CV (including detailed work experience, education/degrees, and details of similar assignments)
· Two Professional References, with complete contact information
All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.