The Regional HR Officer is responsible for the management of human resource function for Regional Office and Supporting countries within East Africa and Great Lakes region. S/he is responsible for ensuring compliance to DRC and donor human resource policies, rules, regulations and systems in a timely, responsible, documented, accurate and confidential manner.
The EAGL Regional Office covers the following country operations: Burundi, Djibouti, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. This position is a national position with regional coverage.
Recruitment, Retention & Redundancy
Lead in the recruitment and selection process ensuring compliance to DRC recruitment procedures and best practices, while maintaining high level of integrity and professionalism:
- Preparing advertisements for placement in relevant media;
- Assist in Longlisting process as requested;
- Ensure all recruitment logistics such as scheduling interviews, preparation of appropriate interview documents and liaising with candidates and
- Participate on some interview panel as requested;
- Conduct reference checks for selected candidates and Inform job applicants on status of their application;
- Prepare contracts for new staffs and ensure submission of required employment documents for new staff.
- Maintain full documentation of recruitment processes.
- Maintain tracking system of recruitment processes and update on weekly basis.
- Ensures in-coming staff have accurate JDs and contracts, receive comprehensive, well documented and Orientation Session; that probation objectives and reviews are carried out in a timely manner and that managers are tasked to act on arising concerns.
- Ensures that out-going staff have a timely, comprehensive, well documented and archived exit process
- Maintain thorough knowledge of DRC HR policies and assist in ensuring employee adherence;
- Responsible for ensuring comprehensive and easily retrievable confidential archiving of all HR documents including past and present employees, recruitments, terminations, exits, complaint processes and other relevant documents/information.
- Monitor expiry of staff contracts and advise the Regional HR on timely basis;
- Update the expatriate staff list on monthly basis.
- Maintain job description database.
Salary & benefits administration
- Collate changes, process payroll and submit to finance by the 18th of each month;
- Day to day administration of the insurance benefits and advise on any issues arising.
- Participate in committees reviewing benefits as requested
- Ensure the maintenance of proper staff documentation and timely preparation of the payroll
- Ensure all employee benefits including base pays, allowances and benefits are paid in accordance to the organization policy
- Ensures that managers are adhering to DRCs performance management policies and practices in a fair, timely, well documented and archived manner; as needed reports issues regarding the actualization of performance management with his/her supervisor and other relevant senior managers; provides solutions that improve DRCs ability to actualize the performance management system.
- Monitor probation reviews; ensure objectives are set for new employees and probation reviews are completed on timely basis.
- Ensure that the Performance & Development process is documented in the DRC ERP System for all employees
- Provides technical support and advice on performance management; trains managers on performance management.
- Ensures HR systems are in compliance with internal, donor and national rules and regulations; trains staff in relevant HR policies, rules and regulations; carryout field compliance audits and training visits
- Acts as the focal point for the preparation, execution and follow-up for DRC audits and audits of DRC partners, as pertains to HR
- Responsible for tracking and reporting on the Results Contract and API for HR & Administration
- Contribute to the review of policies and procedures;
- Lead in processing of work permits for international staff ensuring all international staff has proper work documentation. Keep track of expiry dates and advise on renewals on timely basis.
- Support Countries in East Africa and Great Lakes Region as requested.
- Coordinating with other departments to process support for HR requirements
- At least 5 years’ experience in general human resource management in a similar role with an international NGO is an advantage.
- Degree in Human Resources or Business Administration with specialization in Human Resources.
- Thorough knowledge and comprehensive understanding of Kenyan Labor Law
- Knowledge of East Africa and Great Lakes context, labour laws and legal issues is an advantage.
- Experience using ERP Systems (Microsoft Dynamics) and Payroll Systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly.
- Proficiency in computers particularly spreadsheets and word processing.
- Positive attitude and service oriented. High level of personal initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, juggle multiple priorities within tight deadlines, and calmly and diplomatically deal with unexpected and sudden events that could impact business;
- Awareness and sensitivity to multicultural work – development and ability to form and facilitate dialogue between a diverse group of people with diverse skills and working styles;
- Able to forge effective working relationships at all levels
- IHRM Membership/Certification is mandatory
- Excellent communication skills in English is required.
- French language required.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Duration: 1 Year renewable subject to Performance and Funding.
Contract: Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National staff conditions in the respective Country; Employment Band Non-Manager H.
Start Date: 1st March 2022
Duty Station: Position to be based in either of the following locations; Kenya,Congo, Burundi, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania with travel within East Africa and Great Lakes Region.
Reporting: This position reports to Regional Human Resources Manager
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
How to apply:
Applicants must send a cover letter (max 1 page) and an updated CV (max 3 pages) in English. Cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 28th January 2022.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, candidates maybe contacted before closing date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport