Country: United States of America
Organization: Syrian American Medical Society Foundation
Closing date: 4 Feb 2021
Role Summary/Purpose: SAMS seeks a PSEA/Safeguarding Consultant to advise on efforts to strengthen prevention and response efforts to sexual exploitation and abuse across the organization. The Consultant will be expected to: 1) review, update, and add to existing policies related to PSEA; 2) deliver dynamic, culturally appropriate remote or in-person trainings in Arabic and to PSEA focal points at country offices, as well as implementing partner agencies; and 3) design and support rollout of PSEA reporting and investigation mechanisms, ensuring a survivor-centered approach.
· Review and Update PSEA/ Safeguarding Policies **
o Assess existing materials and policy to identify priorities to update and upgrade the materials and policies.
o Update and upgrade material with the support of SAMS staff and in consultation with relevant coordination efforts.
o Schedule discussions on key issues to be addressed, approaches to adult learning, and review of draft materials with the PSEA staff Group to ensure a consultative and collaborative process.
o Carry out consultations (to be convened virtually) with field-based managers and focal points based on draft materials to receive critical feedback feeding into finalization of materials.
· Develop Reporting and Investigation Mechanisms
o Develop internal procedures for staff and other personnel to report incidents of sexual exploitation and abuse, consistent with applicable international standards on PSEA response and investigation. **
o Develop internal investigation procedures for SEA allegations in line with SAMS PSEA and Safeguarding policies.
o Design and support roll-out of a system for beneficiaries to report incidents of sexual exploitation and abuse, consistent with applicable international standards and in-country national laws. **
o Consult with country focal points on local investigation mechanisms in relevant PSEA networks and structures.
o Liaise with PSEA Focal Points in SAMS areas of operation to ensure that material relevant to the operational context are reflected in the final product.
· Deliver PSEA/ Safeguarding Training of Trainers to relevant stakeholders at HQ and in the field
o Develop a series of training modules based on the topics outlined, in both English and Arabic. The modules should include a variety of engaging learning tools and methodologies that can immediately be rolled out both in an in-person context, and in an online forum. Specific attention should be given to the development of an appropriate and engaging methodology for the online training.
o Develop the modules so that a more intensive specialized training can be easily condensed and adapted for shorter trainings that targets different categories of staff (i.e. health workers, social workers, managers, volunteers, implementing partners, etc.)
o Carry out virtual training of trainers on PSEA/Safeguarding policy with relevant staff members
o Develop a ToT guide and host a consultation session to ensure trainers are prepared to train other staff members.
· At least 5 years of professional work experience in design and development materials and policies for humanitarian practitioners
· Experience of interactive/innovative training approaches engaging humanitarian workers, including e-learning methodologies.
· Demonstrable track record in conducting successful workshops and training of trainers (ToT) for humanitarian practitioners working in humanitarian crises.
· Familiarity with the principles, standards, and operational challenges of prevention and response to sexual exploitation and abuse.
· An understanding of the role of language and culture in humanitarian crises, and in delivering training in diverse humanitarian contexts.
· Familiarity working with situations of armed conflict and understanding how the dynamics of humanitarian crises affect vulnerable populations.
· Excellent written and visual communication skills, including ability to present complex processes and issues clearly to a diverse audience.
· Advanced university degree in social sciences including humanitarian action, international development, human rights.
· Able to balance the need to work independently while collaborating closely with the SAMS team and other relevant actors.
· Fluency in English and Arabic language
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com