Nazdeek is seeking a Program Officer (Consultant) to join our team.
Nazdeek is a legal capacity-building organization committed to bringing access to justice closer to marginalized communities in India. Nazdeek works to advance social and economic rights through civic training, community mobilization, and access to judicial and non-judicial remedies with a core focus on women from marginalised communities. We believe that the law can be an effective tool in overcoming discrimination and marginalization. Two of our main projects are: 1. Improving access to labour and health rights of tea plantation workers in Assam; 2. Strengthening housing and health rights of slum dwellers in Delhi. We are now bringing our advocacy model to work in the state of Tamil Nadu with primary focus on labour and constitutional rights issues.
This Program Officer (Consultant) position is based in New Delhi (appx. 40%) with frequent travel to Tamil Nadu (appx. 60% with long stays) for our rights-based legal and organizing work. The position offers an opportunity to lead participatory research and community engagement, while gaining advocacy experience in the growing field of legal empowerment. Our ideal applicant is a mid-level professional who is committed to traveling for work, has strong writing and communications skills, has a working knowledge of constitutional law and labour law, and is experienced with conducting field work, taking interviews, and mobilizing communities.
Responsibilities of the consultant include:
- Undertaking legal and policy research on labour issues in Tamil Nadu with a special focus on textile and garment and tea industries
- Conducting extensive field research in identified areas; interacting with a variety of high-level stakeholders, community leaders, workers, and activist groups; and collecting data through quantitative and qualitative methods
- Developing training materials and conducting legal empowerment workshops
- Developing innovative participatory tools and methodologies for data collection, training and reporting
- Engaging and coordinating with diverse stakeholders to create partnerships fundamental to community mobilization work
- Developing and executing a robust legal and policy advocacy strategy
- Participating in strategic program management by identifying potential areas for Nazdeek’s ongoing interventions, including legal capacity-building, data collection, development of grievance redressal mechanisms, etc.
- Managing logistics for site visits, creating and tracking budgets for events and meetings, writing summaries and reports of data collection and research, and maintaining detailed documentation
- Ensuring project deliverables are completed according to the project timeline
Required qualifications and skills:
Education: Applicants must possess a Masters degree in social sciences, labour welfare, or other related discipline with a human rights focus, or an LLM or an LLB with experience in labour law.
- Excellent English and Tamil communication, research, documentation, and writing skills
- 5 years of experience in program administration, with at least 3 years implementing projects around women’s and workers’ rights, preferably on workers’ rights in Tamil Nadu or on issues of textile and garment factory workers
- Thorough knowledge of human rights and gender issues
- Field experience working with vulnerable communities in advancing rights
- Ability to work under pressure and communicate effectively with a diverse audience, ranging from workers in at-risk communities to government officials and international organizations
- Ability to manage field work with the support of supervisory staff
- Ability to draft funder and annual reports, draft proposals, and formulate budgets
- Ability to communicate about the work and impacts on social media
- Fluency in written and spoken Tamil
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Basic knowledge of Hindi
Compensation and other benefits:
Salary: Commensurate with experience and in-line with the average non-profit sector in India. Nazdeek is a small organization; however, we strive to provide our staff with the support and flexibility they need.
The position allows for great career development opportunities, including travel and networking.
Duration: Full-time position with 1 year contract, with possibility of extension
Location: New Delhi and Tamil Nadu, India
Starting date: Early March 2021
How to apply:
Please note that candidates must hold a valid work permit/visa for India. Nazdeek is unable to support candidates in obtaining work or volunteer visas.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com by 28 February 2021. The application will be considered incomplete if it does not include a cover letter and writing sample. Please mention the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
Nazdeek is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, age, religious belief or non-belief, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, domestic circumstances, HIV status, disability, or any other protected category.