Peace Brigades International Senior Fundraising Manager
Peace Brigades International Senior Fundraising Manager
We are seeking an experienced and motivated fundraiser to join Peace Brigades International’s small and dynamic UK-based team, in conjunction with our international headquarters in Brussels, to lead on UK, US and other fundraising to support our global work with human rights defenders at risk.
We are looking for someone who has successfully raised income from trusts and foundations for international programmes, and ideally with experience of institutional and individual giving. The successful candidate will have the drive and vision to shape our fundraising strategy with creative ideas to grow our income into new and diverse areas. A keen interest in international human rights is essential, as we begin implementation of an ambitious new strategy to support grassroots activists fighting for our planet, for gender equality, for justice and accountability.
Title: Senior Fundraising Manager
Location: Flexible. Working from PBI’s London office is preferable. You can also work from PBI’s Brussels headquarters or from home. You will be expected to work occasionally in both offices, with some travel costs covered contingent on where you are based.
Reports to: PBI UK Director / International Coordinator
Manages: Volunteers and consultants as required
Contract: Up to five days per week, negotiable. We actively encourage people who are interested in flexible working to apply.
Note – this role may be split depending upon the candidates who apply. Primarily, we are looking for exceptional candidates with the right qualifications, so please apply stating your preferred working arrangements.
Salary and benefits: £40,000 – £50,000 dependent upon experience. Pro rata salaries negotiable according to number of days worked. 28 days leave plus public holidays (or pro rata equivalent).
How to apply: Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter (including your preferred location and working days) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 5.00pm GMT on 2 April 2023
About us: Peace Brigades International (PBI) is an international NGO with over 40 years’ experience working for human rights, peace, and the environment. We are a life-saving presence in areas of conflict and repression, where we work to support and protect hundreds of brave human rights defenders facing threats and violence because of their work for social justice. PBI currently has a field presence in eight countries: Colombia, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua, Indonesia, Kenya and Nepal.
PBI’s international headquarters in Brussels is responsible for the organisation’s overall development, coordination, financial management and administration. PBI UK is the charity’s UK section, working to mobilise support for human rights defenders at risk. We build networks of politicians, lawyers, civil servants and NGOs who are willing to take action to support threatened activists globally. We advocate for stronger UK Government policy on rights and the environment and help push for justice and accountability when violations occur. PBI UK also recruits and trains international volunteers and provides direct financial support to PBI projects. PBI’s UK office is working together with our international headquarters in Brussels to take our global fundraising to the next level.
About the Role: You will be responsible for leading and implementing PBI’s fundraising strategy with UK and US donors, while also helping external consultants to raise funds from multilateral institutions and donors in other countries. You will work in close collaboration with PBI’s UK Director and International Coordinator towards our goal of doubling PBI’s UK income to £464,000 by 2026 and increasing the number of multi-year grants from other donors for PBI’s international work. You will collaborate with PBI’s global staff to produce tools for effective fundraising. Responsibilities include:
Strategic Oversight and Management – 25%
● Lead the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of PBI’s UK, US and multilateral fundraising strategies, with support from PBI’s UK Director and International Coordinator
● Develop and maintain fundraising management systems and relationships with current, past and potential donors
● Provide inputs and oversight to external consultants so they can submit high quality grant applications for institutional and multilateral grants
● Source and manage consultants and volunteers where needed to support fundraising activities
● Chair monthly meetings, and arrange (external) workshops, for PBI’s regional fundraisers.
Trusts and Foundations – 50%
● Maintain current and rebuild lapsed relationships with trust and foundation donors, as well as cultivating relationships with new donors
● Research and identify new opportunities and plan approaches together with the UK Director and International Coordinator
● Lead project proposal and the development of creative pitches on priority themes such as climate, gender, and the rule of law, together with the UK Director and other staff
● Write and submit high quality grant applications, budgets and reports
● Lead coordination with PBI’s field offices on joint proposals.
Individual Giving – 20%
● Design and implement PBI UK’s Spring and Christmas public/online fundraising campaigns
● Implement stewardship and communication plans for individual supporters
● Take responsibility for donor engagement (including thanking and providing updates)
● Ensure compliance with data protection regulations and update systems as necessary
● Help to grow our individual supporter base and reach new audiences
● Identify and approach major donors, trustees of trusts, and potential fundraising allies
● Help develop a legacy programme in the medium term
● Represent PBI at relevant events and organise at least one fundraising event per year.
Other – 5%
● Write compelling cases and pitches for support
● Carry out – or supervise others in completing – periodic prospecting and competitor analysis
● Keep up to date with sectoral fundraising best practice, including in contact with other charities
● Work with the UK Director and Finance Manager to produce financial reporting and analysis
● Other activities in line with the position’s responsibilities.
· At least five years proven track record of helping organisations to secure multi-year six-figure grants, particularly with trusts and foundations, including in the UK and the US
· Experience in developing cross-organisational and/or joint funding applications
· Experience in writing compelling donor reports
· Experience developing and maintaining relationships with donors
· Experience stewarding individual donors
· Experience of working with a database or CRM system. Experience of prospect research.
· Experience in project design and development for international contexts, especially if related to human rights, climate, gender or the rule or law
· Experience in successful institutional fundraising (Governments, EU, etc.)
· Experience in fundraising with donors in other countries (Scandinavia, Netherlands, etc.)
Desirable: Fundraising qualifications
· Outstanding written and oral communication in English
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain key relationships with a range of audiences.
· Ability to craft simple, compelling messages out of complex issues
· Ability to work as part of a team and ability to work unsupervised
· Good time management with ability to juggle multiple deadlines
· Impeccable attention to detail and excellent research skills
· PC literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office
· Working knowledge of Spanish
· Knowledge of data protection regulations and fundraising codes of practice
· Experience of direct marketing and data analysis ideally in the charity sector
· External and online communications skills
Values and attitudes
· Knowledge of human rights issues and commitment to the principles and values of PBI
· Positive attitude, particularly regarding problem solving.
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter (including your preferred location and working days) to email@example.com.