Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded media and technology company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, unique experiences, and product solutions. Blavity Inc. has evolved into a market leader for Black media, reaching 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity, Blavity360º, Shadow & Act, AfroTech & Talent Infusion, 21Ninety, Travel Noire, and Home & Texture. Our Blavity, Inc. employee community is composed of passionate, energetic, and culturally conscious individuals working together to deliver value to each other, the company, and our clients. We are always searching for new additions to our community that will help us continue to scale, contribute meaningfully to our culture, and advance our strategic direction.
Blavity Inc. is seeking a news writer to join Blavity Entertainment. The writer is responsible for writing both original and aggregated news stories for Blavity’s Shadow and Act brand, specializing in news about film, TV, broadway, digital series and more. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, has refined writing skills, stellar research skills, has an understanding of Black film and entertainment.
This is a 1099 contract role that reports to the Managing Editor, Blavity Media.
Contractors will be responsible for providing their own equipment, including but not limited to laptop computers, cell phones, or any other electronic equipment required to perform their role.
- Write up to four news stories per shift
- Source relevant news stories and stay abreast of viral trends on social media worth covering
- Curate questions to interview sources
- Pitch original long-form content twice a month
- Diligently flag and file stores
- Education: Preferred BA/BS or equivalent industry experience
- Required Experience: 1-2 years of experience writing and reporting for a digital news publication
- Technologies: Experience using WordPress, Google Suite, Asana, and/or comparable project management suite
- Additional Qualifications:
- Experience in news aggregating and reporting
- Experience writing news stories on tight deadlines
- Fact-checking and ensuring all information is accurate/credible
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
- This is a remote contract position that offers a maximum of 25 hours a week for 3 months with the possibility to extend.
- Candidates must be available to work weekday mornings on Eastern Standard Time.
- The hourly pay rate for this role is $20 – $25.