Myanmar Education Consortium (MEC) Communications Intern
CONTRACT LENGTH: 3 months at 35% Level of Effort (equivalent of 14 hrs per week) [October 2022 through December 2022]
Level 2: either the post holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or the post holder will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a criminal record self-declaration will be required(at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
The Myanmar Education Consortium (MEC) partners with selected ethnic and monastic education providers to strengthen their capacity to deliver and sustain good quality learning opportunities for hard-to-reach children in Myanmar. MEC provides funding, coordination, technical assistance and research across different local partner organisations to promote continuous improvement of education services and a supportive operating environment for ethnic and monastic education providers. MEC is currently at the outset of its third phase of implementation with a strategy period of 2021-2024 and is currently recruiting for a fluent English speaker to serve as an intern (unpaid), providing remote management assistance and communications support to the programme. In return, the intern will gain experience and insight to the day-to-day management of a large scale ($15 million/year annual budget) education programme that is operating in a fragile context characterised as both development and humanitarian. Based on the interests of the intern, additional responsibilities and tasks may be agreed upon to expand the scope of work.
The MEC Intern will report to the SPPL Director, providing assistance to the MEC senior leadership team on a range of tasks, including for example supporting report writing, preparing and proof reading/editing communication materials, supporting the production of briefs and presentations for management use, and drafting meeting minutes where required. The intern will contribute a 35% Level of Effort, roughly equating to 14 hours/week, with schedules to be carved out through discussions at the outset of each month in line with priority timelines/ scheduling of key implementation priorities. The intern will be remotely based, working online with flexibility on hours.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Report Writing & Communications Assistance
- Ensure efficient and timely support to the Myanmar Education Consortium SPPL Director and other Directors in the Senior Leadership Team.
- Prepare and co-ordinate content for achievement reporting, including content generation and supporting in proof reading and editing text as necessary.
- Support proofing and editing of research publications and presentations
- Provide support for the development, co-ordination, and compilation of broader communications materials, such as vignettes, information updates, success stories and case-studies
- Support, as requested, in preparing presentations or other briefs for management use in meetings or workshops.
- Other tasks / assignments as agreed based on the interests and talents of the post holder.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Student (undergraduate or graduate) of development or international studies or related discipline seeking to gain experience in management and communications aspects of working in the development and/or humanitarian field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- An interest in writing and story-telling.
- Ability to proofread and edit reports and develop targeted communication materials.
- Interest to learn and take initiative.
- Excellent people skills, politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and respect.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in light of challenging circumstances.
- Ability to work under pressure to produce outputs within a per-determined timeframe.
- Background in education and/or the Myanmar context highly desired but not required.
- Communications, media and/or advocacy interest/experience highly desirable
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send an Application Letter, Curriculum Vitae to:
Human Resources Department | Save the Children International|
No. 126/A, Dhamazedi Road, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar
Not later than 5 P.M., 23 September 2022 (Friday)
Candidates are also requested to mention in the applications if there is, blood/marriage relationships with the existing Save the Children employees. No requirement of photo or copy of certificates and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Remark: For those who failed to mention or incorrectly mention the apply position title, Programme/Sector name and location in their applications, we will consider those as disqualify and we will not consider for short list.