ABOUT INTERNEWS AND THE MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA TEAM
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality news and information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
Internews is a charity operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London, and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, and North America.
The MENA Program Management Unit at Internews focuses on providing training for media professionals to strengthen democracy and freedom of expression and to provide an opportunity for journalists within the region to become proficient. Capacity building activities include specialized reporting and advocacy training to strengthen local voices, digital security support and short- and long-term mentoring for both journalists and human rights activists.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Officer is a member of the Middle East and North Africa Program Management Unit and will be responsible for managing the monitoring, evaluation, research and learning of Internews’ projects within the MENA region. The officer will also be responsible for designing monitoring and evaluation activities for projects, including developing data collection tools and instruments for project teams. The applicant will have strong experience using qualitative and quantitative data analysis techniques and is able to deliver high quality reporting of findings and insights in formats which meet the needs of various stakeholders. Successful candidates will also have solid experience assuring the quality of data collection and analysis. We are looking for natural collaborators with endless curiosity and energy, a drive for solving difficult problems, and outstanding organisational and relationship management skills. We are always seeking improvements in our impact measurement practice, and welcome applications from people committed to innovation and advancement. If you are talented, hard-working, collaborative, and entrepreneurial, we encourage your application.
This is a remote-based position.
All remote candidates will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will remain open until hire.
This is a limited duration position, with expected end date of 30 June 2023, with possibility to extend.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Develops and implements M&E systems for Internews’ MENA project; identifies obstacles to implementation and recommends appropriate solutions;
- Collaborates with the project teams on appropriate data collection methods, tools, and reporting formats;
- Supports the project team in creating a framework and procedures for the monitoring and evaluation of project activities;
- Works with the project teams to evaluate project activities with quality and fully supports them fully, including creating of evaluation tools, collecting, entering, and storing data, and reporting and visualizing data;
- Collect, verify, and report M&E data in compliance with Internews’ and donors’ data quality standards;
- Monitor, review, and ensure the quality of M&E data from key partners, grantees, and technical specialists;
- Support project teams in inputting all required data into Internews’ and Donors’ online database, and takes lead on entering the data themselves, if needed;
- Supporting project teams in producing regular, timely, and accurate narrative reports (including M&E data) per donor guidelines;
- Works with the Regional Manager to develop internal region wide tracking systems to maintain M&E data in an organized, secure, and user-friendly way;
- Support the design and implementation of baseline/midline assessments and other research and evaluation methods;
- Participate in periodic review and planning meetings, generating minutes and lessons learnt documents and discuss results of data and plan action steps to build on strengths and address the weaknesses;
- Develop close working relationships with all project partners, participants, and stakeholders;
- Work closely with the project teams to ensure the project success through documenting relevant success stories;
- Respond to requests from the donor and HQ staff about M&E data, methodologies, and examples of project impact;
- Support in the production of project communications materials and success stories as per donor requirements and Internews’ internal standards in collaboration with other project staff as required;
- Any other related duties assigned by the supervisor to ensure project success;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- University degree in economics, mathematics, statistics, social sciences, or any equivalent is desirable;
- At least 4 years of experience working in the MERL field, experience in the media development sector is a huge asset;
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis, and production of reports;
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Knowledge of use of data analysis software is desirable;
- Experience in planning and managing surveys, interviews guides and focus group discussion guides;
- Demonstrated experience with training and capacity-building;
- Proficient in written and spoken English and Arabic is required;
- Good writing and/or reporting skills;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Experience working with remote teams;
- Knowledge of M&E requirements and guidelines of various donors is an asset.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
How to apply
Please submit application materials at https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=1758