Established in 2005, Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is a member of Fairtrade International and the umbrella network organization representing Fairtrade-certified Producer Organizations in Africa and the Middle East. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; West Africa; and the Middle East & North Africa. FTA currently represents 1,354,294 farmers and workers in 660 producer organizations spread across 28 countries in Africa and the Middle East by providing services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods
ABOUT THE JOB
Overall responsible for ensuring comprehensive and effective monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) for the climate change projects. This includes setting up the system, and ensuring effective monitoring of the implementation as well as documentation throughout the process, including the final evaluation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Performance Areas
MEL set-up and Monitoring
- Establish programme MEL data system and related documents and support regional staff to access and use
- Develop specific MEL documents (including Theories of change and log frames), update as relevant and review its progress periodically.
- Work with the project managers to ensure full understanding of the donor/funder M&E reports requirements and support compliance.
- Review project specific reports to ensure that they adequately respond to the project approved indicators.
- Collate the stakeholder and partner’s feedback on the programmes, develop a report and share it as appropriate.
- Provide technical leadership to the process of collecting, analysis, and dissemination of performance data, with a particular focus on areas such as agriculture, climate and energy.
- Provide technical backstopping to all monitoring, evaluation, and research processes in the region in consultation with the Operations Manager while building the capacity of staff.
- Identify ways and means of sharing the data and information on MEL activities with Fairtrade producers
- In conjunction with the Head of Region, the Operations Manager and the programme team, coordinate reflection sessions with staff to identify lessons learnt.
- Coordinate the process of documenting best practices and case studies from the region.
- Coordinate the process of compiling programmes reports.
Evaluation and Reporting
- Support the development of ToRs, identification of competent research firms or consultants for all evaluation and research activities in the region.
- Play a leading role in the review of completed evaluations and research and ensure that they meet the minimum standards.
- Advise and recommend tools and strategies to improve tracking
- Analyze changes and patterns in data and performance reports
Data and Knowledge Management
- Provide up to date monitoring data and analysis thereof as and when required and ensure data queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner
- Identify ways and means of sharing the data and information on MEL activities with Fairtrade producer organizations
- Support the Operations manager in data management at the producer and local level from key interventions.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, economics, applied mathematics, research methods, monitoring, and evaluation or other related fields.
Experience and Knowledge
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in an M&E position and responsible for implementing M&E activities of international development projects.
- Hands-on experience at the national or international level in the design, monitoring and evaluation of complex projects, preferably across multiple locations;
- Proven capacity to build the MEL skills of colleagues and/or partners
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative)
- Experience working in East Africa, on climate change, with smallholder farmers, sustainable agriculture, and energy projects
- Skilled at multitasking and prioritizing, working independently with minimal supervision, leading, and designing projects autonomously
- Knowledge of principles and current approaches to MEL;
- Strong skills in collecting, analyzing, interpreting qualitative and quantitative data;
- Knowledge of stakeholder engagement
- Skills in using MS Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Excellent Interpersonal and negotiation Skills
- Excellent communication and reporting Skills
- Fluent in English and local languages
How to apply
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website: https://fairtradeafrica.net/vacancies-2/
If you have any queries, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
or call +254 202721771 or +254 704180169 and ask to speak to a member of the HR team. Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as a pre-condition of employment. Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name and the position (Monitoring and Evaluation Officer) and be e-mailed to email@example.com
All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.