Requisition ID: 20235
Region: Global Deployment Option
Contract type: Open-ended contract
Are you ready to explore the next chapter of your career? ICRC is looking for Middle Managers Field Operations!
What we do
The ICRC is an impartial, neutral, and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect and assist the victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. The ICRC also aims to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening international humanitarian law (IHL) and universal humanitarian principles. It responds quickly and efficiently to help people affected by armed conflicts, Other situations of violence and disasters in conflict zones.
We are recruiting Middle Managers for field operations.
Before transferring into a Middle Manager role, you will follow a six-month Middle Management onboarding program in protection, security management, and field operations management. While you will join a global pool of international ICRC Managers, a commitment to take up positions in highly volatile environments for the first four years is a must.
In your area of responsibility, you will either handle an ICRC structure and its operations or coordinate topics or programs while supporting the head of structure in planning and implementing the delegation’s operational objectives. You will chip into defining and implementing the delegation’s security rules. You will be encouraged to lead a diverse team of employees while safeguarding their inclusion, contributing to their well-being, and applying management practices.
- Analyze the humanitarian, political, and security environment to identify humanitarian needs and prioritize the response in the area under their responsibility.
- Define operational priorities and strategies while working towards protection outcomes and ensuring a crosswise response.
- Own the structure’s human and financial resources in accordance with the diversity, equity, and inclusion priorities, the people management’s strategy, and financial management procedures and policies.
- To ensure a transversal response, implement and supervise programs and activities with various collaborators, including Movement partners and other humanitarian actors.
- Represent the ICRC while developing and maintaining a network of relevant interlocutors to ensure access and acceptance and promote the ICRC’s mission.
- Conduct a dialogue on protection concerns with partners following internal strategies and objectives to increase respect for IHL and other standards.
- Contribute to the elaboration of the delegation’s strategies and objectives.
- Contribute to the budget financial and resources planning of the delegation.
- Define and implement the security rules of the coverage area conforming to the overall framework established by the delegation.
- Contribute to internal and external communications.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Overview of the operations of combined sub-structures, if any.
Professional Experience required
- University degree or equivalent.
- Eight years of relevant humanitarian experience.
- Four years of proven experience as head of the structure, project management, or coordinator in at least two different countries witnessing an active armed conflict or other situations of violence.
- Significant Leadership and people management experience (More than 25 staff)
- Exposure to security management
- Proficiency in English (C1 Level). – Please note that we will test all languages indicated by the candidate
- Good command (B2 Level) in one of the other official languages of ICRC (Spanish, Arabic, Russian, or French). – Please note that we will test all languages indicated by the candidate
- Prior experience in leading multicultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent writing skills: preparing clear and concise reports and making and defending clear recommendations for the collaborator’s purposes.
- Strong oral communication skills, successful representation, and negotiation.
- Authentic experience of a collaborative approach.
- Familiarity with the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is an advantage.
Our operational & field constraints
- A four-Year commitment to be deployed to highly volatile security environments without your family (i.e. no spouse, partner, children, or dependents) .
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the ICRC does not assign international staff to a country of which they are nationals.
- If you have more than one nationality, please indicate this information as it is relevant for deployment reasons.
- Candidates must possess a driving license for manual transmission vehicles.
- Candidates need to be in good health and have a medical check-up before departure to the field.
What we offer
- A accelerated path into ICRC operation management.
- A rewarding work in humanitarian and multicultural environment with attractive salary and social benefits. Click Here for more information -> Compensation and benefits (icrc.org)
- We offer you a six-month onboarding program and opportunities for in-house training.
- We have multiple career development opportunities.
- Type of mobility: International
- Type of contract: open-ended contract
- Starting date: depending on operational needs but not before April 1, 2023
- The deadline for application: is the 3rd of December 2022, so please feel free to apply!
The ICRC thrives on the rich diversity of its staff and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, a pool of gender-balanced managers from all corners of the world. Candidates from all nationalities are welcome to apply; women are strongly encouraged.
How to apply
Please apply through this link.