Contract length: 6 months, contingent on funding Hours: full-time Location: home-based, available on Central European time zone
Travel: up to 50%, to locations receiving IDPs or refugees; non-travel time will be home-based
Reporting to: Ukraine Response Lead, with technical support from CLEAR Global’s Data Solutions Manager
Salary range: USD 3,800-4,900/month
Deadline for applications: June 27, 2022*
*Due to the urgency of this vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date.
CLEAR Global is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team,
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays,
- the flexibility of home-based/remote work,
- accommodation and per diems when on deployment.
The people displaced by conflict in Ukraine, and those trapped by it, find their situation compounded by a crisis of communication. Speakers of minority languages among the 20+ spoken in Ukraine, as well as third country nationals, face particular challenges accessing vital information and making themselves heard. CLEAR Global/Translators without Borders is developing an extensive program of language and communication support for those affected in Ukraine and host countries.
CLEAR Global will collaborate with specialist local, national and international organizations to improve two-way communication with affected people in Ukraine and in host countries, enabling them to make informed decisions, access quality services and hold responders to account.
CLEAR Global has an opening for a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) specialist to lead and coordinate MEAL processes within our multi-country Ukraine response program.
- Develop and implement a MEAL framework within the Ukraine program, supported by CLEAR Global’s Research, Advocacy and Data team
- Develop and manage necessary data collection, management and reporting systems for MEAL within the Ukraine response program
- Manage CLEAR Global reporting to funding partners for the Ukraine response program, including coordinating with other implementing partners as necessary
- Manage internal learning reviews and external evaluations as required, including coordinating with partners as necessary
- Manage and provide technical oversight to the MEAL Officer: Ukraine Response
- Build MEAL capacity throughout the program team, including providing guidance and support for program staff who are conducting MEAL activities (including developing proposals)
- Support responsive programming by helping develop feedback loops between MEAL and program design
- Input on the development and analysis of surveys, comprehension testing methodologies, and other program-level data collection tools
Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of affected people and partner agencies.
The MEAL Coordinator should be an innovative self-starter with a strong sense of initiative, an understanding of the humanitarian sector and a track record in data analysis and MEAL. They should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge and the reach, impact and accountability of services through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with CLEAR Global’s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
Required skills and experience
- 5+ years of project design and MEAL experience in the humanitarian sector, including designing and implementing MEAL systems
- 3+ years’ experience of developing and delivering training and guidance in the humanitarian or international development sector, preferably on MEAL specifically
- A track record in delivering program learning and evidence of impact
- Experience of information management for MEAL in humanitarian programmes
- Willingness to work in insecure environments required, experience of working in insecure environments a plus
- Availability to deploy for up to 50% of time to locations hosting IDPs and refugees from the Ukraine crisis, and flexibility to deploy potentially at short notice and manage logistical contingencies
- Verbal and written fluency in English; strong written communication skills
- Proficiency in Ukrainian or one or more other languages relevant to the Ukraine response (Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Romani, Romanian, Russian, Slovak)
Preferred skills and experience
- Demonstrated understanding of communicating with communities/accountability to affected populations/risk communication and community engagement programming
- Experience of quantitative data analysis including advanced skills with Google Sheets and/or Microsoft Excel
- Data visualization experience, including experience with platforms such as Microsoft PowerBI, Tableau, or other similar products
- Interest in and experience with language and communication issues in humanitarian contexts
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 80,000 community members translate millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
CLEAR Global may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, or offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
How to apply
To apply, please click here