The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental organization devoted to promoting the rule of law. IDLO works to enable governments and empower people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
In March 2019, the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) granted funding to the International Development Law Organization (IDLO) to implement Phase 3 of the Enhancing the Institutional Capacity of Prosecutors of the Philippines (EICPP) project. This project has the overall goal of improving the capacity of the Philippines Department of Justice (PDOJ) and the Office of the Ombudsman (OMB) prosecutors in handling criminal prosecution. The project will also enhance the capacity of the Supreme Court Oversight Committee to design and develop modules/curriculum that will support effective delivery of legal clinic instruction across the Philippines through (i) facilitation of trainings for members of the Supreme Court Oversight Committee on how to design and develop modules that meet the objectives of the clinical legal education program; (ii) provision of advice, support, and feedback, as needed, to the Supreme Court Oversight Committee, as it finalizes and rolls out the modules; and (iii) development of supplemental materials that will support the Supreme Court Oversight Committee as it develops these modules and undertakes similar or related work in the future. To achieve this, IDLO will require the services of an internationally recruited consultant who will develop and facilitate a Blended Learning training over a virtual platform/learning management system to members of the Supreme Court Oversight Committee on how to design and develop modules that meet the objectives of the Clinical Legal Education Program (CLEP). This will be under the supervision of the Country Manager in the Philippines in coordination with the Field Program Coordinator who supports the legal clinic work.
Pre-Planning and Development of the Training Plan
i. The consultant will review the Continuing Legal Education Program modules and work closely with the IDLO Philippines Country Manager and Field Program Coordinator to identify the gaps in skills, knowledge, and competencies related to designing, developing, and delivering virtual Blended Learning training modules for the CLEP. A training needs assessment (TNA) prior to the development of the training courses content is required.
ii. The consultant will submit a detailed training plan for an online Blended Learning course for the members of the Supreme Court Oversight Committee (with synchronous and asynchronous components) including the presentations, exercises, and related materials to be used. The consultant shall follow the IDLO branding standards in drafting the presentations and the IDLO’s training quality standards for the drafting of the training plan.
iii. The consultant will need to take and complete the IDLO’s online course on Training of Trainers. The adult learning methodology from the course will be considered in the development of the training plan, as well as, in the training delivery.
iv. The consultant shall coordinate with the Country Manager/Field Program Coordinator for the finalization of the training plan including the content of the presentations and learning exercises to be used prior to the training delivery.
i. The consultant will deliver a training session(s) on how to design and deliver effective virtual Blended Learning training modules for the CLEP to the members of the Supreme Court Oversight Committee. The training will be delivered in a blended learning format/duration that reflects the results of the TNA(s). Travel to the Philippines is not required in light of the COVID 19 travel restrictions.
i. The consultant will adjust/revise if needed and finalize the entire course for submission to IDLO including the training plan, presentations, and references.
ii. The consultant will develop supplemental materials, including handbooks, reference materials, guide books or similar, that will support the Supreme Court Oversight Committee as it develops these modules, enhances (virtual) training delivery, and undertakes similar or related work in the future.
iii. The consultant will mentor and provide advice, support, and feedback, as needed, to the Supreme Court Oversight Committee, as it finalizes and rolls out the modules as well as other key stakeholders of the project (including law deans and law professors).
TIMELINE OF IMPLEMENTATION
Development and conduct of TNA
March 12, 2020
Development of the training plan including presentations and exercises
March 26, 2020
April 12, 2020
Development of supplement materials
April 26, 2020
Mentoring of key stakeholders
May & June 2021
*All dates are subject to final confirmation with partners and may be subject to change depending on availability.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- Legal degree required; Master’s Degree in a related and relevant field is an asset;
- At least seven years’ experience establishing, operating, and teaching in an American law school clinic setting where the purpose is to develop law student skills in practical lawyering and to meet unmet legal aid needs of the community;
- Experience with adult learning principles and methodology required, including curriculum development and design of teaching/training materials;
- Proficiency in delivering effective Blended Learning trainings through online platforms (in particular Zoom and MS Teams);
- Experience mentoring legal clinic staff and lawyers, law school professors and deans, other legal professionals required;
- Experience working on comparative/overseas legal education projects and with international organizations an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
Specific Technical & Behavioral Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work constructively and coordinate effectively with multiple stakeholders/beneficiaries
- Proven ability to develop and foster effective remote working relationships
- Proven ability to see through set tasks and deliver results on time
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative
- Ability to take guidance, incorporate feedback, and consider various perspectives
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate
- Flexibility with modes and timing of work given the need to coordinate extensively with colleagues and partners in Manila, the Philippines
Terms and Conditions
The consultancy will be for four months and the estimated start date for this assignment is March 1, 2021. For this international recruited position, the consultant will be home based and in light of the COVID 19 travel restrictions, travel to the Philippines will not be required.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
How to apply:
Please apply through the following link: