Contract length: open-ended or 1 year
Application deadline: May 11, 2021*
*Due to the urgency of this vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
This role oversees two critical areas of TWB’s work: the delivery of the full range of language services to TWB’s non-profit partners directly and working with TWB’s program teams to ensure that TWB has the systems and processes in place to provide language services to country teams, global programs and special projects. It also includes providing oversight of TWB’s crisis language services in the event of a rapid onset disaster. Working with our partner success team the successful postholder will ensure that TWB is building partnerships with NGOs and UN agencies, managing partner expectations and ensuring overall satisfaction. The position reports to the Chief Language Services Officer.
You will be expected to both solve key problems and challenges as well as seize major opportunities for improvement and enhancement of TWB’s language service offerings. This will require personal determination, proactivity and initiative, attention to detail and collaboration with globally distributed and remote team members. You will also be the main point of contact internally to have the opportunity to work with and build strategic relationships with internal partners including HR, Product and Marketing to help you. You’ll be responsible for supporting our partnership development team and will be their main point of contact for any questions related to our services.
- Manage the Language Services Programme and Partnership Teams, ensuring that all team members both understand the direction and organizational strategies and that these reflect the needs and priorities of the language services team
- Develop strategic plan for team development and potential expansion
- Participate in organization-wide discussions, contributing actively
- Create and monitor reports on metrics, analysing trends and making changes/recommendations as appropriate
- Support on funding proposals for programme and partnership projects collaborating directly with the Programme Teams and the Partnership Sales Team.
- Participate actively in pricing strategy discussions and monitor operational costs across the team
Resourcing and Capacity Management
- Maintain an overview of the proposal pipeline and liaise regularly with programme and partnership sales teams
- Ensure the teams have sufficient capacity to deliver projects, liaising with the Finance and HR team
- Oversee and allocate resources within the Project Management Pool to support the LS programme and partnership teams
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with NGO partners
- Work with the Partnership Sales Team on partner negotiation processes, analysing partner needs and translating into plans.
- Identify and support opportunities for innovative action and synergies with strategic partners.
Together with the partner owners, ensure expectations are met and monitor levels of overall satisfaction.
Together with other key stakeholders, ensure that the partner renewal process is managed smoothly.
- Work with the Quality and Process Coordinator to ensure quality assurance processes are in place and regularly monitored
- Assure consistent and timely collaboration and communication among the different teams and the partnership team
- Analyze, organize, troubleshoot, and solve problems with available resources and in coordination with TWB team
- Synthesize and disseminate learnings to improve best practices in project management, workflows, and related processes
- Report on team metrics accurately and in a timely manner
- Work with team members to ensure that the team as a whole functions well; ensure team remains motivated and enthusiastic and within the wider organization to build cross-team coherency.
- Participate in organization-wide discussions, contributing actively
- Reliably and actively collaborate with colleagues towards the achievements of the team
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
Qualifications and Experience
The Language Services Operations Manager should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- 7+ years of experience in language services project management and/or account management
- 5+ years of experience in a management role
- Experience working in an international environment.
- In-depth understanding of traditional quality assurance processes; knowledge of community-based quality process a definite advantage
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Demonstrates initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning.
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently with minimal supervision
- High social and emotional competence
- Ability to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills; other languages would be an asset
- University Degree in linguistic/translation related studies
- Familiarity with the translation, language or content industries
- Fluency in one or more languages other than English
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the nonprofit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
How to apply:
To apply, please click here