Investigative Assistant (1 position – 50%)
Reports to: Legal Director
Location: Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, or Belgium
About the Consultancy:
The Investigative Assistant will facilitate SJAC’s investigative work by gathering information on ISIS-related crimes from individuals in Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, and Belgium. The position requires the consultant to network with the Syrian communities in these countries to identify and interview survivors and witnesses with knowledge of crimes committed by perpetrators currently in Europe. It also requires the consultant to communicate with SJAC’s legal and psychosocial support partners, and Swedish authorities. They will collaborate with the Legal and Human Rights Advisor and the Community Advocates in Germany and the Netherlands. The candidate must be located in Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands, or Belgium. This position is for 11 days per month.
- Identify individuals with knowledge of ISIS-related crimes committed in Syria by perpetrators currently in Europe.
- Conduct interviews with the aforementioned individuals in accordance with SJAC’s policies and procedures, in addition to collecting other forms of documentation when appropriate.
- Coordinate SJAC’s dual referral program through which survivors and witness are provided legal and psychosocial support via SJAC’s partners.
- Communicate with Swedish authorities who investigate and prosecute ISIS affiliates to relay information.
- Track ISIS-related cases in Sweden and perform open-source investigations.
- Liaison with civil society organizations working with Syrians to increase awareness of SJAC’s dual referral program and widen SJAC’s network in Sweden.
- Monthly M&E indicators
- Weekly updates
- University degree required. A degree in law, human rights, or similar field is preferred.
- Knowledge of Syria and the Syrian conflict.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), and the ability to network and liaise effectively with a wide range of potential stakeholders at all levels both within local and national groups and with the Syrian community.
- Ability to discuss sensitive topics in an open, respectful, and effective way.
- Understanding or lived experience of the gender dynamics of the Syrian conflict is a plus.
- Experience conducting documentation interviews preferred.
- Fluency in Arabic and proficiency in Swedish is required. Knowledge of English is an advantage.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to function professionally and effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please email a Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please put “Investigative Assistant”. In the cover letter, please describe your interest in the position, relevant background, and availability. Applicants are encouraged to submit before March 1, 2023, but applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
SJAC is a diverse organization made up of 40+ team members around the globe. We pride ourselves in our ability to implement programming that is inclusive and responsive to the needs of all Syrians, and believe that our own team’s diversity of viewpoints and experiences helps us to achieve that goal. SJAC implements policies to support and protect all team members, including a strict sexual harassment policy, peer support sessions, and professional psychosocial support. We encourage all interested applicants to apply, regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
This posting will remain on SJAC’s website until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.