Project Title: Promoting Peacebuilding and Reconciliation in Ukraine
Donor: European Union/United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Project Outline: The ‘Promoting Peacebuilding and Reconciliation in Ukraine’ project is implemented under the CBCB programme. The project is part of the EU-funded EU4East programme and the UN Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme (UN RPP), which will contribute to the implementation of Component 4 of UN RPP and provide support to the Ministry for Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine (MRTOT) to enhance its capacity on peacebuilding and reconciliation. The overall objective of the project is to increase the peacebuilding and reconciliation efforts and improve institutional capacities of the MRTOT. The project has two outputs:
The capacity of the MRTOT in peacebuilding and reconciliation issues is developed, with input from relevant experiences of other post-conflict countries.
The capacity of the MRTOT in service delivery and coordination is strengthened based on the best national and international approaches, standards and procedures.
The objective of the assignment is to provide expert support to the work of the Working Group of Experts (WGE), which will be established at the MRTOT with the assistance of DRC-DDG. The WGE will mainly focus on developing a strategy on conflict management, prevention and reconciliation based on the findings of the Study on Perceptions and Expectations of Peacebuilding Initiatives in Ukraine. The WGE will be chaired and hosted by the MRTOT and composed of Ukrainian, Georgian, Moldovan and other international scholars and/or practitioners with extensive experience and expertise in peacebuilding. The strategy produced by the WGE will be presented and discussed with state and non-state actors in Donetsk, Luhansk and Kherson oblasts. The information and knowledge shared and transferred at the WGE meetings will boost the capacity of the MRTOT staff on conflict management.
- Work Assignment
Under the overall authority of the MRTOT, the direct supervision of DRC-DDG Ukraine, and in close collaboration with other members of the WGE, the selected international expert will contribute to the work of the WGE by:
· Participating in online and/or offline WGE meetings (April – May 2021; two meetings);
· Preparing recommendations to the MRTOT on improving conflict management, prevention and reconciliation policies in Ukraine (May 2021);
· Developing a draft strategy on conflict management, prevention and reconciliation in Ukraine (May 2021);
· Developing recommendations on the design and implementation of a communication strategy to promote the draft strategy on conflict management, prevention and reconciliation in Ukraine (March-April 2021);
· Consulting with key stakeholders in Donetsk, Luhansk and Kherson oblasts on the draft strategy on conflict management, prevention and reconciliation in Ukraine with the intention of further revision of the strategy (June-July 2021; four consultation meetings);
· Drafting recommendations to the MRTOT on mainstreaming peacebuilding in state, regional and local policies, strategies and plans (July – October 2021).
- Required Deliverables and Timeline
· At least three recommendations to the MRTOT on improving conflict management, prevention and reconciliation policies in Ukraine (May 2021);
· The strategy on conflict management, prevention and reconciliation in Ukraine (draft in May 2021; final strategy – no later than October 2021);
· At least one recommendation on the design and implementation of a communication strategy to promote the draft strategy on conflict management, prevention and reconciliation in Ukraine (March-April 2021);
· At least three recommendations to the MRTOT on mainstreaming peacebuilding in state, regional and local policies, strategies and plans (no later than October 2021).
All deliverables will be submitted to DRC-DDG via email in English. All deliverables are subject to DRC-DDG review and approval. Therefore, the selected international expert is expected to respond to DRC-DDG comments and reflect the respective changes in all the above deliverables before they can be considered final.
The duration of the assignment: 15 March – 31 October 2021 (in total fifteen working days). The timeline will be adapted according to the date of the establishment of the WGE and the final work plan, as agreed with the selected expert.
The payment will be made in accordance with the actual number of days worked and deliverables produced. Furthermore, if offline WGE meetings take place in Ukraine, DRC-DDG will organise and pay for the costs of all travel related expenses and accommodation in Ukraine.
- Required Qualifications and Experience
DRC-DDG is seeking applications from individual international consultant/expert. The successful consultant should have a minimum of the following qualifications and experience:
· Advanced university degree in international relations, political science, peace and conflict studies, development studies or other relevant social sciences;
· Extensive knowledge of peacebuilding and conflict management practices in Georgia, Moldova or other international settings;
· Minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience in academia, research institutes, think tanks, governmental, inter-governmental, or non-governmental organisations in Georgia, Moldova or other international settings;
· Proven previous working experience consisting of substantial involvement in policy design, evaluations, and/or reviews in related areas in Georgia, Moldova or other international settings;
· Working experience with senior officials within governmental, inter-governmental, and non-governmental organisations in Georgia, Moldova or other international settings;
· Full computer literacy and availability of own IT equipment (i.e. laptop, printer) to perform the assignment;
· Willingness and availability to travel to Ukraine to attend offline WGE meetings provided the pandemic situation is conducive;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective relationships;
· Fluency in Russian and English.
How to apply:
Interested individual international consultant/expert is expected to submit the following materials in English in response to this SoW:
· Detailed Curriculum Vitae
· Letter of Motivation
· Technical Proposal articulating the methodologies and tools to be employed by the applicant for the production of the required deliverables (3 pages maximum)
· Financial Proposal indicating a proposed daily rate in USD
· Proof of previous related work (two reports or traceable recommendation letters)
Deadline for the submission of applications is 25 February 2021 at 14:00. The interested candidates should submit their applications to email@example.com. The title of the e-mail should be ‘WGE International Expert’.