Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to government and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission IOM Sri Lanka & Maldives and the direct supervision of the Project Officer – Male’, the Consultant will be responsible to Develop Recommendation and Roadmap for National Migration Health Policy for the Republic of Maldives in order to strengthen the Government Capacity in the Development of Migration Health Policy. The incumbent will be accountable for the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop National Migration Health Policy Framework and Recommendations accessible to all key stakeholders, informed by desk research, interviews with key stakeholders and visits to study sites;
Participate in project Technical Committee monthly meetings;
Undertake consultations with key Governmental and non-Governmental stakeholders;
Liaise with the national consultant who would undertake outreach visits to migrant worksites and living sites, as well as atoll health centres and island health posts, and submit visit report;
Conduct validation workshop to obtain feedback on proposed National Migration Health Policy Framework and recommendations;
Develop roadmap for implementation for the National Migration Health Policy recommendations;
Facilitate a multi-stakeholder consultative session to refine National Migration Health Coordination Mechanism;
Conduct training for Ministry of Health officials on relevant aspects of migration health policy;
Conduct sensitisation workshop for recruitment agents on migration health issues;
Maintain regular and continuous engagement with relevant government agencies and related stakeholders to build ownership for the Migration Health Policy recommendations and buy-in for its implementation.
Tangible & Measurable Output:
i. Recommendations and Policy Framework for Government of Maldives to improve Migration Health Policy in the Maldives;
ii. Roadmap for Implementation of Migration Health Policy in the Maldives;
iii. Conduct: (a) Training of Ministry of Health officials and (b) Recruitment Sensitization workshop;
iv. Conduct Meetings for (a) Migration Health Policy Framework validation and (b) Migration Health Policy Framework roadmap;
v. Provision of regular updates to the IOM Project Officer and Project Manager regarding completion of outputs.
The key Deliverables and Timeline.
Training for Ministry of Health Officials;
Stakeholder consultation report;
Draft Migration Health Policy Framework recommendations;
Validation Workshop for Migration Health Policy Framework;
Final Migration Health Policy Framework recommendations;
Recruitment Agent Sensitisation workshop;
Roadmap for Policy Recommendations implementation;
Multi-Stakeholder Workshop to receive feedback on National Migration Health Coordination Mechanism;
Consultancy period is three (3) months.
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
Conduct of Training for Ministry of Health Officials (topics to be covered to be determined by project Technical Committee (TC);
Submission and approval of stakeholder consultation reports (stakeholders to be consulted to be determined by TC);
Submission and approval of draft Migration Health Policy Framework recommendations;
Conduct of Validation Workshop for findings of draft Migration Health Policy Framework;
Submission and approval of final Migration Health Policy Framework recommendations;
Conduct of a Recruitment Agent Sensitisation workshop;
Submission and approval of Terms of Reference for National Migration Health Coordination Mechanism;
Submission and approval of roadmap for Policy Recommendations implementation;
Conduct of Multi-Stakeholder Workshop to receive feedback on National Migration Health Coordination Mechanism.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Master’s Degree in Community Medicine, Migration Management, Social Science, Development Studies, Humanitarian Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution with Five (05) years of professional experience; or
· University Degree in the above fields with Seven (07) years of relevant professional experience.
· Experience in providing technical assistance / expertise in developing policies, procedures and programs in relation to Health needs of Migrants is desirable;
· Experience in carrying our research studies in migration health, etc is preferred;
· Knowledge on structures and functions of national health systems, international health agencies, stakeholders and related organizations will be an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators – level 1
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and successful reference checks.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Candidates with the required qualifications and competencies are invited to submit their candidature for the position to HRSRILANKA@iom.int together with the following documents;
(1) Cover letter
(2) Updated Curriculum Vitae
(3) Technical and Financial Proposal, demonstrating the understanding of subject matters and outlining the proposed methodology, timeline and budget). All documents shall be single spaced, 12 point Times New Roman and in English.
Or by post to Human Resources Department, International Organization for Migration, 80A Elvitigala Mawatha, 9th Floor, Institute of Bankers of Sri Lanka Building, Colombo 08, indicating the position applied for on the envelop by Wednesday 10th February 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. **
From 01.02.2021 to 10.02.2021**