Position Title : Intern – Programme Support
Duty Station : Home based
Classification : Intern, Grade Other
Type of Appointment : Internship, six months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 May 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM has been operating in Sudan since 2000, contributing to the Government of Sudan’s efforts to facilitate and manage migration effectively while upholding the human dignity and well-being of migrants, including internally displaced persons, refugees, and returnees.
In September 2019, Sudan began a new chapter as it began the process of transitioning to an open democracy. Since the revolution and the creation of a transitional government, there have been many changes, especially in the areas of politics, development opportunities, domestic economic and social reform, and humanitarian access.
IOM is supporting the new transitional government of Sudan within their shared 10 priorities for the transitional period, and in achieving the objectives of good migration governance.
IN Sudan, IOM provides services that cover a wide variety of programmes related to: multi-sectorial humanitarian programmes, transition and peacebuilding programmes, migration governance programmes, migrants protection programmes, and many other programmes.
The internship is in the Programme Support Unit (PSU), which coordinates the mission projects development and reporting, the mission’s efforts to raise funds, the mission’s communication and public information and the monitoring and evaluation. under the supervision of the Programme Support Coordinator.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Programme Support Coordinator, the successful candidate will support the unit in project development, report coordination, and support the PSU Coordinator in developing the mission official and public documents.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the design and the development of the mission’s new programme and project concepts and proposals in line with overall government priorities, mission strategic response, and opportunities, and in line with the IOM Project Handbook.
- Support the proposal development in close coordination with Programme Managers, relevant IOM missions, and with Regional Office (RO) Thematic Specialists.
Coordinate with the project coordinators, Regional Office (RO) and Regional Accounting Support (RAS) for the timely preparation, review, and submission of interim and/or final narrative reports to donors. Ensure these are in line with specific donor requirements; that they clearly discuss results achieved and that submitted copies are shared with relevant units.
Support the mission in drafting concept papers and coordinating briefing inputs or talking points. Prepare and coordinate all necessary follow-up internally and externally for relevant IOM Sudan.
Collect and consolidate the mission inputs for IOM Sudan documents and reports, inputs to Regional reports, strategic papers, and other reports and materials on IOM programmes and events.
Supporting the PSU Unit in researching, writing, editing and shooting information products related to IOM’s work in Sudan.
Support and assist the PSU in compiling, drafting and finalizing the Annual report, internal strategies, internal documents, Presentation, as well as the IOM institutional questionnaire.
Providing general administrative and clerical support to the PSU unit as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training components and learning elements
It is expected that the selected intern will:
• Be exposed to the activities of IOM in the duty station.
• Gain good understanding and experience in developing IOM/UN official documents and materials.
• Gain understanding about the IOM and the UN System and its processes.
• Learn technical skills described in this Post Description.
• Be able to prove their dedication, skills and capacity to work in an international setting as part of a diverse and international team.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
University degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
• Experience in project development and reporting;
• Experience in Project design and donor liaison;
• Familiarity with the project cycle management and the Project Development and Implementation Handbook.
• Excellent writing technical skills in English;
• Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to pay close attention to details and work with minimum supervision;
• Ability to work harmoniously with a team and in a multi-cultural environment;
• Personal commitment, respect for diversity, high level of integrity and drive for results;
• Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
• Strong level of computer literacy (Internet and Microsoft Office is a requirement.)
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge in Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Eligibility and Selection
This internship position is available for 2021 as part of IOM’s Diversity and Inclusion Internship Program. A main condition is that applicants should be citizens of countries which are not part of the OECD-DAC. In other words, this internship position is open to applicants from the Global South.
In 2021 Diversity Internships will be done remotely (teleworking). Interns will receive a monthly stipend, plus an amount to cover office and internet costs.
IOM strongly encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, LGBTI+ individuals, persons belonging to indigenous or tribal peoples, or ethnic minorities. We strongly suggest you mention in your application your belonging to any of the aforementioned groups. All information will be treated confidentially.
If you would like to explore all vacancies that are part of the ‘Diversity and Inclusion Internship Program 2021’, please go to: www.iom.int/diversityinternships
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
a) have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
b) are holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies; or
c) are sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions and/or academia to work in specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor;
d) are either students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated, who have less than two years of relevant working experience;
e) are between 20 and 36 years of age.
This internship programme will be supporting the mission in IOM Sudan. As this will be a teleworking opportunity and will be required to overlap with the duty station, please consider the time difference in the duty station prior to applying.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional enquiries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 May 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 12.04.2021 to 02.05.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: INT 2021 07 Intern – Programme Support – Homebased (56919420) Released
Posting: Posting NC56919421 (56919421) Released