Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (KIWASH) Project
Inspectors of Works
DAI, a global development consulting firm, seeks applications from qualified candidates for short term positions for Inspectors of Works for WASH infrastructure projects at the Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (KIWASH) project.
The Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (KIWASH) Project is a USAID-funded project with its primary goal being to improve lives and health of Kenyan citizens in nine counties through development and management of sustainable WASH services. Its purpose is to institutionalize catalytic models of sustainable service delivery for accelerated water and sanitation access in target counties and to improve complementary hygiene behaviors. From September 2020 to September 2021, through a 12-month extension, KIWASH will pivot its activities to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic while maintaining and advancing the development gains with county governments, water service providers, WASH enterprises and sector stakeholders. In its six year of implementation, KIWASH targets to improve access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene services for at least 140,000 Kenyan citizens in the nine counties.
KIWASH activities are implemented in nine counties in two principal focus areas: Busia, Nyamira, Migori, Siaya, Kisumu, and Kakamega counties in the Lake Victoria Focus Area, and Kitui, Makueni, and Nairobi counties in the Tana/Athi Focus Area.
KIWASH has identified the need for Individual Construction Supervisors to carry out construction supervision of small scale WASH infrastructure the nine Project counties, i.e. Busia, Kakamega, Kisumu, Kitui, Makueni, Migori, Nairobi, Nyamira and Siaya.
The services of the Supervisors are required for between 2 and 4 months.
Summary of Primary Duties
The primary duties of an Inspector of Works (IOW) shall be:
· To ensure that all the construction activities are conducted in accordance with KIWASH construction quality assurance and quality control requirements and USAID and Government of Kenya (GOK) environmental requirements;
· Ensure that the works are adequately supervised and monitored during the period of implementation.
Main tasks for the IOW
The IOW will carry out the following tasks:
· Review all the Contractor’s materials submissions and method statements to ensure compliance with the contract documents (BOQ’s, specifications, drawings);
· Conduct site supervision and monitor progress against the agreed construction program;
· Visit active sites on a daily basis, and at all key construction stages, to ensure that the works are executed as per the design, specifications and contracts;
· Liaise with the relevant County Government officers and community/institutional representatives as appropriate to ensure that way leaves, rights of way and other issues are resolved in good time to minimize delays in contract completion;
· Keep accurate records and track the construction costs to ensure the cost is within limits by minimizing variations to ensure that the contract sum is not exceeded;
· Deal with emerging issues involving design changes to conform to site conditions and to ensure there are no construction delays;
· Analyze interim payment certificates submitted by the contractors and make recommendations for payments;
· Attend and minute the on-site construction meeting and weekly or monthly site meetings.
The Individual Construction Supervisor will report to the relevant County-based WASH Infrastructure Specialists.
Required qualifications & experience
· At least an Ordinary Diploma in civil or water engineering:
· At least 5 years of practical experience in construction supervision & construction management of WASH infrastructure;
· Ability to meet tight deadlines and willingness to travel extensively in the assigned counties.
· Ability to prepare concise and accurate reports and documents in English.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should apply via the link; https://kiwashproject.formstack.com/forms/inspectors_of_works Deadline for applications will be February 11, 2021 at midnight. Only candidates who send their information by applying through the link and by the deadline will be considered. Copy the link and paste it on a browser to submit your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency of the recruitment, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis. DAI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.