JOB PURPOSE: As part of the Oxfam Global Safeguarding Team and the broader Oxfam Safeguarding Shared Service, this role helps delivering Oxfam’s strategy and program to protect those we work with and for from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment perpetrated by Oxfam representatives. This is done through provision of strategic technical safeguarding (SG) advice, building capacity, supporting or facilitating others to undertake investigations (particularly in affiliates without dedicated safeguarding resources), or, when required, undertaking investigations. This role will help deliver Oxfam’s strategy and program to protect those we work with from sexual exploitation and abuse perpetrated by Oxfam representatives, with a focus on two key areas: provision and /or coordination of expert technical advice on safeguarding across the confederation; and overall coordination of policies and procedures related to safeguarding. The post holder will provide advice and support case management to the Oxfam International Secretariat and Oxfam affiliates, when needed and agreed by the Director Safeguarding. Under the leadership of the Oxfam International Director of Safeguarding, the post holder will also act as a central coordination point for technical advice to OIS and affiliates without dedicated safeguarding resources.
ROLE REPORTS TO: Director for Safeguarding
ROLES REPORTING TO THIS POST: n/a
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY : n/a
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (Technical, Leadership, People and Resource management)
- Provide technical advice on safeguarding, both at case management level, and on policy, procedures, programming, and strategy;
- Support and influence others within OIS and affiliates without dedicated safeguarding resources, to ensure that investigation and response work in relation to sexual exploitation and abuse allegations is done following established organizational policies and procedures, and is consistent in commitment and practice across the confederation;
- Fulfil a coordination role amongst technical advisors on safeguarding technical advice;
- Influence the development of strategy, and support implementation, including safeguarding plans and strategies
- When requested, undertake investigations and response work in relation to sexual exploitation and abuse allegations for OIS and affiliates without dedicated safeguarding resources, and when appropriate / requested, support other investigators/investigations
- Influence managers, staff and volunteers.
- Work collaboratively with others in similar or complementary roles and teams across the confederation both at a head office, regional and field level, and with others within the development and humanitarian aid sector;
- On an as required basis, deputise for the OI Director of Safeguarding largely within defined parameters;
- Provide overall coordination of technical advice on safeguarding within the Safeguarding Shared Service to ensure consistency, learning and best practice;
- When required/requested, provide specific advice and guidance on SEAH and child abuse allegations, at all times taking into consideration the potential risks to personal safety for those involved;
- Design and deliver effective strategies, projects, and tools for countering sexual exploitation and abuse across Oxfam with a special focus on OIS and affiliates without dedicated safeguarding resources.
- Under the leadership of the Director for Safeguarding, coordinate the development and updating, and consistency amongst the Oxfam confederation on policies and procedures relating to, or inclusive of safeguarding;
- Support affiliates without a dedicated safeguarding resource, and especially the ones with operational programs, to establish and/or strengthen community-based feedback and complaints mechanisms that are responsive to receiving safeguarding concerns.
- Produce required management and public reports on an as required basis, or to agreed schedules;
- Develop specific assessments and trainings adapted to the needs of partners and allies
- Research and develop innovative approaches to countering sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Contribute to Oxfam’s programmatic risk management processes and follow all Oxfam sexual exploitation and abuse prevention processes and procedures;
- Support the Director of Safeguarding to promote best practice across the Oxfam Confederation, including supporting with relevant governance groups and internal and external reviews taking place;
- Engage with the Global SG Operations Lead to maintain an overview of the entire workplan and priorities of the Safeguarding Shared Service, as well manage projects assigned within the workplan.
- Connect with, and contribute to, Safeguarding groups and forums internally and in the wider INGO community sharing and learning best practice;
- Be an effective, collaborative and proactive team member of the Global Safeguarding OI and Shared Service Teams.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & COMPETENCIES
- Post graduate qualifications in social work, international development or similar;
- Safeguarding experience including working with children and adults who have witnessed or experienced exploitation and abuse. Specifically:
- Experience in the delivery of programs in complex development contexts:
- Experience in the provision of SG technical advice in a complex large organization on SG in general and also on specific cases/investigations;
- Ability to provide specific case management as well as general technical and strategic guidance and advice; demonstrating awareness of the complex operating contexts Oxfam works within;
- Experience conducting awareness raising and training on sensitive issues such as sexual exploitation and abuse, and/or child abuse.
- Experience supporting the design and implementation of humanitarian and/or development programming –including conducting risk assessment, developing risk mitigation plans, and development of complaints and feedback mechanisms.
- Experience in supervision and leadership, as well as project management;
- Experience working within an international context with a NGO or UN;
- Strong and clear communicator and public speaker, capable of delivering messages appropriately to a variety of audiences, building a sense of passion and engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of strategies, policies and procedures, including some leadership or coordination role in relation to these;
- Ability to display high levels of cultural and emotional intelligence in across cultural setting;
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and convening within a complex organization, especially on technical matters, and stakeholder management skills;
- Excellent resilience, self-awareness and understanding of the need for self-care;
- Skilled in identifying and mitigating risks;
- Able to work professionally and with a high degree of confidentiality at all times;
- Experience conducting/coordinating SG investigations; •Excellent written and spoken English and demonstrated ability to produce excellent written reports;
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy, and ability to undertake simple interrogation of data for the purposes of reporting;
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to and model Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- High degree of organizational ability, working well under pressure and to deadlines;
- Fluent in Arabic, French, and/or Spanish.
- Strong IT skills;
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills and demonstrated experience in developing and delivering training and capacity building to diverse audiences;
- Experience managing and building a team and supervising staff remotely
How to apply
Click on the link below on how to apply