GWA Individual Contractor – Global PR/Communications Goodwill Ambassadors Section (GWA), Global Communications Service (GCS), Division of External Relations (DER)
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a short term contract within the Global Communications Service.
Based within the Division of External Relations, the Goodwill Ambassador (GWA) Section, is recruiting an individual contractor to provide and deliver on a dissemination strategy and PR launch for a UNHCR social media film launch due to come out on April 6th, to tie in with International Day of Sports and Peace for Development.
This is a unique opportunity for the right person to join a high performing team and develop their career in working with influencers for the furtherance of humanitarian goals. UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in 135 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: GWA Individual Contractor – Global PR/ Communications
- Duty Station: Working from home
- Duration: 20 days
- Contract Type: UNHCR Individual Contractor
- Closing date: February 19th 2021 23:59
- Start date: Immediate Start
The Goodwill Ambassador (GWA) Programme seeks to utilise celebrity and highprofile support to leverage the strategic communications, fundraising and advocacy goals of UNHCR.
The position In close consultation with UNHCR teams, this position will plan the placement, promotion and PR of the film, in close collaboration with the social media team, digital, GWA and the Core team working on Tokyo 2020. These outputs will support UNHCR’s key strategic communication and public engagement goals around sports and the Tokyo Olympics. The individual contractor will need to provide advice and ideas related to social media and digital initiatives as a key part of the role.
Duties and responsibilities
Working closely with others across UNHCR’s Olympics communications taskforce to work on drafting creative communications strategies for the film and execute media and PR strategies related to the film:
• Working in close collaboration with UNHCR social media and media teams as well as the wider communications service, to lead on developing and implementing the placement and PR plan for the film (inclusive of pitching, writing media and social media materials, guiding and briefing spokespeople as needed)
• The individual contractor will use existing personal global PR contacts to pitch and sell-in media opportunities as requested.
• To ensure all materials for this project are produced to standard, are on message and in line with UNHCR’s overarching Olympics Communications strategy. The materials must be delivered on time, and the assets that are delivered to media partners must be to deadline and specification.
• To support GWA Team on outreach to sports stars, GWA, celebrities and other influencers to share the content on social platforms to boost and increase impact for the film. This includes delivering ideas for celebrities to reach out to, ensuring due diligence and de-duping of contacts, and doing agreed outreach where appropriate.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education):
• University degree (BA or Masters);
• At least 7 years working within media/communications sector, preferably with experience of working with high profile individuals and corporate or external partnerships and in the NGO/ humanitarian sector.
• At least 7 years working within media/communications sector, preferably with experience of UN agencies/ humanitarian sector.
• Demonstrated ability and experience of delivering communications goals with celebrity support
• Strong project management skills of complex, fast moving projects
• Strong communication skills, written and verbal
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Working to meet multiple deadlines and work under pressure
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at speed with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
• Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with international team members
• Fluency in written and spoken English required. Spanish, Arabic, French as second language preferred.
• Experience of working with UNHCR or another UN agency or INGO including with high profile individuals
The successful candidate will work from home.
How to apply:
To learn more and to apply, visit https://bit.ly/2OgB0rc.
Closing date for applications: 19 February 2021, midnight Geneva time.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that we are unfortunately unable to notify applicants who have not been selected for interview.