iDE is an international nonprofit dedicated to combating poverty not through handouts, but by helping households access the tools and knowledge they need to increase their income and improve their health and well-being. Since its founding 40 years ago, iDE has increased the incomes and improved the livelihoods of more than 40 million people across last-mile communities. Using market-based approaches across a variety of sectors, iDE helps to create ecosystems of opportunities with families and businesses.
iDE currently works in 11 countries across Africa, Asia, and Central America. Its vision, to catalyze the power of entrepreneurship to enable millions of people to lift themselves out of poverty, is ambitious and bold. Our new strategy requires iDE to shift its strategic focus and adapt its operating model to create solid foundations for growth to deliver a deeper impact at scale. We need a person who is, first and foremost, passionate about this vision.
iDE has developed a strong global reputation for leveraging markets and entrepreneurs to deliver impact in the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) space. WASH is a strategic sector for iDE, where we have the opportunity to build on our past success to expand our effectiveness and influence on the widespread adoption of human centered design, market-based approaches and gender and social inclusion to drive impact at scale.
Reporting to the WASH Senior Manager, the WASH Manager will build on current momentum to strengthen WASH innovation and results across our country programs, and to strengthen our brand and influence within the sector. As a member of iDE’s Programs department within iDE’s global headquarters, the WASH Manager will play a key role in iDE’s efforts in WASH programming across collaboration, capacity development, technical expertise, financial management, business development, strategy and communications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with WASH team members in Country Offices to improve their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Support the tracking and analysis of billable time across the Global WASH team.
- Promote cohesion and coordination with other headquarters and Country Office teams ensuring effective teamwork and synergies in program implementation.
- Provide project management support to all projects with a WASH component, including support with report editing and finalization.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of strategic consulting opportunities with external clients.
- Stay current with industry trends and developments in WASH, sharing relevant knowledge that can be taken into account in iDE’s approaches, in particular with regards to integrating WASH with other sectors, climate and gender and social inclusion.
- Collaborate with the Fund Development department to identify and communicate programmatic successes, best practices, and impact stories for fundraising purposes.
- Engage with global teams to collect stories around the impact of iDE’s WASH work and share them with internal and external stakeholders.
- Conduct rapid literature reviews as needed to inform programming and development of theories of change for project and program design.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to staff members within the Country Offices, fostering their professional growth and development, both in technical WASH areas and in program management.
- Work closely with the other sectors within Programs in order to develop effective multidisciplinary approaches.
- Work with country programs to support project design and implementation.
- Contribute to designing, writing, and reviewing project funding proposals and project design.
- Work with country offices to ensure donor reporting consistently meets quality and messaging standards.
- Work with the Programs Director and Business Development team to develop capability statements, update tactics and other materials for use in business development.
COMMUNICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT
- Engage with other iDE teams to ensure that there is cross-learning and promotion of integrated approaches between WASH, agriculture, nutrition, solid waste management and other emerging areas.
- Facilitate cross-collaboration and knowledge on sharing between Country Offices, encouraging the exchange of ideas, lessons learned, and innovative approaches.
- Maintain and strengthen connections between HQ and Country Offices, ensuring effective communication, collaboration, and alignment of programmatic activities.
- Disseminate knowledge and best practices in WASH within the organization, fostering a culture of learning and continuous improvement.
- Manage the WASH intranet, newsletter and external microsite to promote knowledge sharing.
- Transform project reports and other materials into articles and stories for external publication.
- Disseminate relevant programming information to staff through regular briefing notes and updates.
- Support in facilitating discussion and learning within virtual communities of practice among our global staff.
- Promote iDE’s thought leadership by communicating findings externally through strategic publications, presentations at conferences, meetings, and networking.
- This role has the potential to supervise internships to achieve the goals outlined above. Supervisory responsibilities may evolve over time.
How to apply
- Masters Degree in International Development, Economics, Public Health, Engineering or related fields.
- 5+ years of experience, including WASH program implementation experience in Africa, Asia or Latin America.
- Expertise in drinking water supply and management preferred.
- Excellent written and spoken English. A second language that’s used in an area where we work is preferred, especially French, Spanish or Portuguese.
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to translate dense technical content to information easily understood by general audiences.
BEHAVIORS AND VALUES:
- Demonstrates empathy, humility, authenticity, and respect in the workplace
- Willingness to ask questions and seek feedback
- Excellent problem-solving and creative thinking abilities
- Ability to work independently and prioritize effectively
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment and across multiple time zones and languages
- Excellent verbal, intercultural and interpersonal communication skills
- Enthusiastic with a sincere interest in the mission of the organization
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Equipment used: all office equipment
- Access stairs, elevator
- International Travel
- Variable Work Hours/Shifts
iDE takes pride in our talented and diverse workforce. Minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Hiring, promotion, and compensation of employees are conducted without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
iDE offers a competitive benefits package which includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) inclusion, short and long-term disability, life insurance and a generous PTO policy.
The annual salary range for this position is $70,000 – $77,500.