- Work Location: Remote globally; UTC±0 to UTC+3 time zones preferred; must overlap at least 3 hours daily with U.S. Eastern time zone
- Application Close Date: until position is filled
- Estimated Start date: January 2, 2022
- Department: People Operations
- Reports to: Head of People Operations
- Terms: Full-time, one year initial contract
- Travel: 3-4 times per year internationally when conditions permit
- Level: 8
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) sits at the nexus of participatory mapping, community-led development, humanitarian response, open data and tech. With a talented and diverse team spread around the globe, HOT is an NGO which supports a dynamic global community of thousands of dedicated volunteers using maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. Working with humanitarian and development partners like the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, UN agencies, governments and others, the HOT community maps in solidarity with those affected by or at risk of disaster, contributing the maps and data aid workers need to do their lifesaving work.
In 2020 the work of the HOT community was recognized by TED’s Audacious Project, a collaborative philanthropic initiative that serves as a springboard for social impact on a grand scale, leading to an exciting new phase of growth. HOT is expanding its activities: opening four regional hubs and scaling up its support to local mapping communities with the audacious goal of mapping an area home to one billion people in 94 countries at high risk of disasters or experiencing poverty – mapping with communities before they are in crisis.
HOT is looking for someone passionate about, and experienced in, international development and humanitarian action. You should be able to work within a fast-paced, international organization responding to urgent crises and persistent development issues. You should have strong experience in human resources and be familiar with how to run a virtual, international HR function. As you will work on all aspects of HR within an international NGO, you will be able to call on your experience to answer frequent questions & challenges that arise regarding compliance, employment, compensation, and performance within a diverse global team. You will be a self-starter and will enjoy making the organization an even better place to work.
About the Role
The Global HR Manager will lead the HR team at HOT, working with a small group of HR staff based in the regional hubs and on the global team. You will lead decisions on policy, compliance, compensation and performance management for all of HOT’s teams and offices. You will also lead the agenda-setting for the HR team’s goals each year, and work with your team to ensure that those goals are met. The Global HR Manager will be responsible for evaluating areas of risk related to HR and taking the lead in finding solutions as needed. Finally, this role is one of the key leaders at the organization ensuring that staff are well cared for and centered in the organization’s work.
- Advise on, create, and implement HR policies and practices that are compliant with international and US locations where HOT operates; advise HOT leadership on risk management for personnel-related issues
- Oversee performance management and performance improvement processes and guide managers in best practices for management of staff and resolution of conflicts
- Support the Head of People Operations on the development of appropriate and sustainable organisational structures and staffing planning that meet business needs
- Refine HOT’s open salary framework in collaboration with the Head of People Operations and Senior Director, Operations and work towards continuous improvement of HOT’s compensation & benefits structure
- Manage global Human Resources staff and functionally support HR/Ops staff in the regional locations
- Oversee the end-to-end recruitment processes for staff while maintaining the highest standard of candidates, diversity, fairness, and transparency of processes
- Oversee applicant tracking and HR management software in support of HOT’s strategies
- Oversee HOT’s human resource information system (HRIS) and the staff lifecycle, including contracting, onboarding, records, and offboarding.
- Support HOT’s learning and development strategy for staff career growth
- Ensure that the administrative aspects of HR at HOT are carried out efficiently and accurately
- BA/BS, preferably in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Organizational Psychology or a field relevant to Human Resources
- 7-10 years minimum HR experience with at least 5 years of leading HR operations or talent management and successfully coaching and managing others
- Previous work in international organizations e.g. global non-profit or tech startup environment including in a remote work environment
- Solid working knowledge of best practices in all HR functions including international recruitment, onboarding, benefits, compensation, employee relations, learning and development, HRIS, including adherence to all state and federal employment laws, with particular emphasis on US laws and compliance
- Experience with managing compensation and performance management systems
- Broad cultural competency and experience working across countries and time zones
- Ability to travel internationally 3-4 times per year; visiting each region annually
- Sense of humor, demonstrated empathy, and compassion
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP or SPHR certifications, strongly preferred
- Additional language, French or Spanish preferred
- Familiarity with USAID/US government funding regulations
Are you missing a few of the technical skills listed? We would still like to see your application. While the skills above fit our vision of this role, we are open to those candidates with a strong knowledge foundation that are fast learners and highly motivated to close any skill gaps.
Compensation and Benefits
HOT values transparency and equity. All HOT compensation globally is set according to a framework detailed on our website. HOT also offers:
- Fully remote & flexible work arrangements
- Flexible public holidays
- Paid time off & additional HOTlidays!
- Home Office Allowance
- Healthy Staff allowance or group plan
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Book Stipend
- Coaching Program supported by The Humanitarian Coaching Network
- Collaborating with a fast-growing, dedicated team who values humanitarianism, free, open-source, and accessible data
We seek to recruit persons that reflect the diversity of the communities we work with. HOT does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, physical ability, religious or belief systems, political convictions, or sexual orientation. Further, HOT seeks to support the development and advancement of staff within the organization. Our staff includes people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives on the world. HOT is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to live our values and promote inclusivity in all locations. All of our staff work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of all is valued and respected.
How to apply
To apply please click here