For Planetary Health
12 months – 100%
This position is based in the Field, travelling from mission to mission
Context & Mission
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent medical humanitarian action-driven organisation, providing aid to populations in need, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to the people affected by armed conflicts, without discrimination and regardless of their race, religion, belief or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
The responsibility of the Flying WASH Expert is to provide technical and strategic support for implementation of Planetary health related to WHS activities with the objective of optimizing the methodologies and technical solution related to water (pumping, storage, treatment, distribution…), hygiene (in health structures and in camps) and sanitation (wastewater, excreta control, waste, vector control…) implemented by the logistics in MSF programs.
Water, Hygiene and Sanitation activities are part of the planetary health footprint reduction pillar lead by the logistic department. Because of the multiplication of the water, hygiene and sanitation complex activities requiring presence of specialists, the Geneva logistic department has requested for the position of 1 Flying Planetary Health WASH Expert to assist Planetary Health WASH Advisor with a physical presence in the field.
Direct technical support to field operations
Flying PltH WHS Experts, on demand of the operation will intervene in the mission to:
· Promote and implement water & sanitation activities of the mission (implement or facilitate)
· Participate in:
o Exploratory missions
o Program support visits
Audit and recommendation to missions
o PltH WHS activities needs
o Pertinence of specific WHS activities within projects,
o PltH WHS activities proposed.
· Provides recommendation to improve quality of PltH WHS activities
· Follow-up and monitoring of PltH WHS emergency activities.
Contribution to missions’ operational strategies
· Shares information with medical and logistic coordinators to identify potential WHS related activities to develop
· Participates in the development of appropriate project strategies based on analysis of the situation
· Advises on Eprep capacity when appropriate
Training and coaching
· Provides support for the choice and development of WHS or logistic personnel in accordance with his expertise.
· Provides coaching to WHS and logistic teams both local staff and expatriate
· Participates in the review, design and presenting of MSF training modules
Validation of products and local suppliers
In every mission dedicates time to support Supply teams to:
· validate technically sensitive product (insecticides, pumps…)
· validate local suplliers.
· Clean up stock and Eprep stocks
When the Flying PltH WHS is not on mission and after enjoying R&R / holidays, they will support the WHS Unit in its usual activities.
They can be asked to do the temporarily backup the WHS Advisor.**
· Trained specialist or engineer in the water, hygiene and sanitation sector.
· MSF experience in emergency situations is essential, particularly in WHS context.
· Experience in waste management is an advantage.
· Fluent in English and French
· Knowledge of other languages an asset
· Expertise in some and interest in all the following topics:
o Solid and liquid waste management
o Water quality and quantity
o Quality control and procurement of specific technical materials
o Vector control
o Organise Committee of nosocomial infection control (CLIN)
o Hygiene promotion in institutions and communities.
· Result and quality driven.
· High communication skills and capacity to interrelate with people.
· Teaching skills.
· Adaptability and flexibility.
Terms of Employment
· Field-based position with visits to HQ in Geneva.
· Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF OCG volunteer handbook.
· Fixed-term contract of 12 months with an occupancy of 80%, renewable
· Ideal starting date: as soon as possible
· Gross monthly salary: CHF 5’500.- for 100% position (proportional to occupancy rate)
· Social Benefits: Health insurance and living costs in the countries of intervention and at HQ, paid according to internal regulations.
How to apply:
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Closing date for application is January 30th, 2021.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.