Founded in 2012, The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting meaningful justice for Syria that holds perpetrators accountable and addresses the grievances of victims, leading to lasting peace and respect for human rights. SJAC currently has an annual budget around $2 million and 7 full-time staff members.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The Finance Consultant will oversee SJAC financial analysis in compliance with organizational policies, donor regulations (such as 2 CFR 200), and local laws. The Consultant will work across SJAC’s team, with donors, and the SJAC Board of Directors. The Consultant will work an average of 20 hours a week.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance Consultant is responsible for overseeing all of SJAC’s accounting and financial systems. S/he will manage a part-time accountant to fulfill SJAC’s accounts receivable, accounts payable, and recordkeeping needs. The Finance Consultant will lead SJAC’s financial reporting and forecasting, and coordinate with staff on an ongoing basis.
- Manage SJAC’s QuickBooks accounting system, including the appropriate coding and backup of expenses, and the integrity of financial data and reporting;
- Design and manage systems for tracking annual spending and projections at project and organizational levels. Analyze SJAC spending on a monthly basis and work with the SJAC Executive Director to update and make decisions regarding SJAC’s operating budget;
- Produce financial reporting for SJAC grants and Board of Directors. Liaise with donors and the Board of Directors regarding financial questions as needed;
- Manage web-based accounts payable system to ensure compliance and timeliness of vendor payments;
- Manage semi-monthly payroll;
- Lead monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial close processes;
- Lead and coordinate support for the audit process at the end of each fiscal;
- Conduct cash forecasting and drawdown of funds for individual awards and overall portfolio
- Review proposal budgets for submission and budget amendments for current agreements;
- Review financial reports from subgrantees;
- Support SJAC program staff in understanding their activity budgets and spending;
- Ensure compliance with local, state, federal and international regulations;
- Oversee and liaise with benefits providers.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years supporting financial aspects of an organization, preferably with components of internal financial control, financial reporting, and budget management.
- Experience creating project budgets required; experience with organizational-level budgeting preferred.
- Experience in subgranting preferred.
- Knowledge of USG regulations and compliance issues strongly preferred.
- Expertise in MS Excel required. Experience with QuickBooks.
- Audit experience preferred.
- Accounting experience not required, but the understanding of key accounting concepts is necessary.
- Arabic language skills a plus.
- Demonstrated organization skills with high attention to detail
- Happy taking initiative and working independently.
How to apply:
Please send an email with the subject “Finance Consultant” to hiring[at]syriaaccountability[dot]org, providing a cover letter, resume, and proposed hourly rate. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE AA/EOE/m/f/Vet/Disable
Job Type: Consultancy, remote