The Syria Campaign is recruiting a FINANCE AND COMPLIANCE OFFICER to join its small and creative team. We are looking for someone with a strong background in financial management and grant compliance and with a commitment to working for human rights and a free and democratic future for Syria.
This is a full time position for 15 months. It can be done remotely, with European and Middle Eastern Time zones preferred.
We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We do not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, nationality or citizenship, gender expression or identity, religion, economic background, disability, or sexual orientation.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. We will do our first review of applications on 18 October 2021 and encourage anyone interested to apply by that date.
The Syria Campaign is a small, fast moving and powerful human rights organisation that has impact through stories, news and campaigns. We work to support Syria’s heroes in the struggle for freedom and democracy, partnering with civil society partners inside and outside the country.
The Syria Campaign works to keep Syria in the international spotlight to increase the cost of attacks on civilians, help build the power of civil society, advocate for a vision of real peace and justice and build international solidarity with the Syrian people.
We’ve raised the profile of Syrian groups such as the White Helmets rescue workers, helping secure them millions of dollars to continue their life-saving work and making them famous around the world. We’ve supported the Families for Freedom, a women-led movement of the families of the disappeared in Syria, to ensure their demands are heard. We work with dozens of partners across Syria who trust us deeply. Syria is full of heroes and we’re privileged enough to work with them.
We have to fight hard to make sure the issues that matter to us and our partners get the focus and support they need. We refuse to let Syria disappear from the attention of the world, and we will work until we see justice served.
What you’ll be responsible for
The role reports to the Head of Operations, Finance and People. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage overall programme budget, tracking spending and budget projections with deliverables
- Manage financial reporting for 3 subgrantee partner organisations
- Accurately recording all financial transactions for the project, using accounting software
- Manage monthly financial reports and reconciliation for the project
- Develop templates for financial reporting for partners and subgrantees
- Process and approve project invoices
- Build relationships with finance staff at partner organisations and providing support to meet reporting requirements
- Review financial reports from partners and check the compliance with terms and conditions of the grant
- Manage the financial side of fundraising for partner groups and build relationships with service providers and financial institutions
- Support the Head of Operations, Finance and People in developing and implementing new procedures and policies as needed to improve our suite of operational tools
- Participate in the annual audit process
- Prepare donor financial reports
- Play an active role as a member of the organization’s finance team, contributing to other tasks as needed
A successful candidate will have:
- A track record of working in a finance team
- In depth knowledge of financial regulations and accounting processes
- Experience reporting to large institutional donors
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Experience using accounting software, ideally Xero and/or Quickbooks
- Experience working with civil society partner organisations, including in reviewing partner financial reports
- Strong spoken and written English
- Strong spoken and written Arabic (desirable)
- Commitment to a free and democratic future for Syria and human rights
- Proven ability to work on a remote and global team
The Syria Campaign is committed to making sure everyone on the team is happy, productive and motivated. Here’s how we do that:
Salary is competitive and in line with international organisations.
The job is remote. We are primarily seeking candidates from European or Middle Eastern time zones but will also consider applications based in locations on Eastern Standard Time. We have team members in Germany, the US, the UK, Morocco and Canada and provide you with a space in a co-working office wherever you are based. We have full staff retreats every year to keep us connected.
We provide budget, time and support for your professional development.
We give 25 days of leave a year, public holidays and discretionary break over the end of year holidays. We offer family friendly parental leave policies.
How to apply:
To apply for this role, please send a CV to email@example.com with a cover letter describing why you’re the ideal candidate. Please put ‘Finance and Compliance Officer’ in the email subject line.