As part of its 2017-21 LATAM Region Project Evaluation, the MS International Federation (MSIF) is seeking an experienced consultant to conduct qualitative interviews with our key stakeholders to assess the outcomes and impact of the work done with and for MS organisations in the region.
Through having a consultant conduct qualitative interviews with key stakeholders, we aim to make the process as independent and objective as possible.
Please note we are open to proposals that contain alternative qualitative evaluation techniques/methods that can achieve the same aim.
The MS International Federation (MSIF) is a unique global network of MS organisations, people affected by MS, volunteers, and staff worldwide. Our movement is made up of 48 MS organisations with links to many others. We inspire, mobilise, and bring the world together to improve everybody’s quality of life affected by MS and to end MS forever.
Within the framework of MSIF’s 2017-21 Strategy, one of our key objectives is stronger MS organisations in countries with challenging socioeconomic conditions and a high level of need. We aim to meet this objective by supporting and encouraging the development of new, emerging, and existing MS organisations and groups through capacity-building activities in Latin America (LATAM), the Arab region, and Asia.
Over the past five years, MSIF has been running the 2017-21 LATAM Region Project. The evaluation will assess the outcomes and impact of the work delivered during that period and the extent to which our aims and objectives have been met. The evaluation will also inform the development of the 2022-2026 LATAM Strategy.
Our key stakeholders include leaders and volunteers from MS organisations, health professionals, members of MS global working groups from the region, and external consultants that have contributed to the delivery of services during this period.
• Initial briefing with MSIF Regional Capacity Building Manager*
• Review key project-related documents, reports, and data to guide the development of qualitative interview methodology (some documents are only available in English)
• Develop and agree on interview methodology and tools to be used (e.g. most significant change). Tools are to be developed in Spanish and Portuguese.
• Assist the MSIF Regional Capacity Building Manager in the selection of key stakeholders
• Arrange and carry out interviews with key stakeholders, in Spanish and in Portuguese (interpretation support may be provided if necessary)
• Collate and analyse information gathered during the interviews using appropriate methods e.g. content, narrative, or framework analysis through codification.
• Produce a report (in English) containing key findings and recommendations for the development of the 2022-26 LATAM Strategy
• Meet with the MSIF Regional Capacity Building Manager to discuss the report*
• Finalise and submit the report
*other members of the MSIF team may take part in such discussions.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the consultant will be required to work remotely and no travel is required. MSIF has existing online platforms that the consultant can use to incur no additional costs for online communications.
It is expected that the consultant completes the work by end of June 2021 in no more than 10 working days.
Conflict of interest
To avoid any conflict of interest, perceived or otherwise, consultant(s) should note that, to be eligible to tender for the work, they (or their company/agency/ organisation) should not have been employed by (as a permanent or temporary member of staff) or have carried out services for (in an advisory or consultancy capacity) national or international healthcare companies, or their subsidiaries, within the past 6 months. Consultants, who have carried out services for national or international healthcare companies, or their subsidiaries, within the past 18 months, should declare this within their application.
The evaluation is open to consultants with the following skills, attributes, and experience:
• native Spanish-speaker
• proficient spoken and written English
• excellent facilitation and communication skills employ tact and diplomacy when working with non-governmental organisations
• proven experience in conducting objective and candid qualitative research including developing the necessary methodology and assessment tools
• experience in conducting interviews e.g. one-to-one interviews, focus groups, etc.
• excellent attention to detail and strong planning and prioritisation skills
• independent and impartial when interpreting results and providing recommendations
• ability to work with minimal supervision as well as effectively within a group
• familiar or has an interest in the field of organisational development/NGO capacity building particularly of Latin American grassroots organisations, e.g. volunteer-led, health/disability-focused patient organisations
• aware and sensitive to the needs of people with and affected by MS and/or experience of working with people affected by other medical conditions
• extensive experience of living and/or working in Latin America
• Portuguese-speaker will be an advantage
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating ‘Evaluation Consultant’ in the subject line, by 09.00 GMT, Tuesday 4 May 2021
- CV and a covering letter (no longer than 500 words) in English explaining how you meet the person specification and highlighting relevant experience.
- A proposal in Spanish or English of no more than 2/3 pages explaining how you would respond to the Brief indicating the methodology/techniques you would use and how you would distribute your time
- An outline of the budget (with a breakdown of daily rate/items costs)