SYRIA DIRECT is a Syrian-led, independent media organization that started in 2013 after the outbreak of the Syrian conflict. We foster transparency and accountability through investigative reporting, amidst rising media repression in Syria and neighboring countries. Through reporting on conflict trends, human rights abuses, environmental issues, and more, we aim to contribute to a just future for Syria by informing Syrians and policymakers alike. Fiercely committed to the tenets of professional journalism, we produce timely, fact-based coverage of Syria and the Syrian diaspora in Arabic and English. We also provide training and consulting services to equip the next generation of Syrian journalists.
Translators play a vital role in our team by translating material to reach diverse and varied audiences. This role includes translation of written publications and transcription of audio material as needed.
- Translate journalistic reports, in-depth investigations, podcast scripts and other written material from English to Arabic.
- Transcribe and/or translate audio material for podcast series and other multimedia products as needed.
- Meet short deadlines and respond to periodic requests in a timely manner.
- Attention to detail and precise use of terminology to maintain integrity of original material.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in translation, media, area studies or related field, or 3-4 years of equivalent experience.
- Native fluency in Arabic, full professional or bilingual proficiency in English. Knowledge of Levantine dialects is strongly desired.
- Familiarity with journalistic writing and style.
- Excellent grammar skills and a sharp eye for detail.
- Familiarity with the Syrian context.
Syria Direct is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
For interested candidates, please submit your CV, rate per word (in EUR) for translation services, rate per hour of audio for transcription services, and 2-3 translation samples (in Arabic) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until Sunday, November 20, 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to complete a translation test, with an expected start date in early December.