Purpose of this Consultancy
Federation of Women Lawyers in Kenya (FIDA-Kenya) seeks services of a qualified consultant/consultancy firm to undertake a consultancy to develop a status report on the impact of procurement policies and women empowerment programmes in Kilifi County and subsequently develop an Economic Empowerment Policy for Kilifi County.
About the Organization
The Federation of Women Lawyers in Kenya (FIDA-Kenya) is a non-governmental, non-partisan, non-profit making organization established in 1985 with a mission to promote women’s individual and collective power to claim their rights in all spheres of life. FIDA-Kenya is a membership organization with over 1,100 women lawyers and law students committed to the creation of a society that is free from all forms of discrimination against women in Kenya. The organization works towards addressing challenges facing women’s access to their social, political, and economic rights.
To address these challenges, FIDA-Kenya has two key programs; Access to Justice and Women and Governance. The Access to Justice program focuses on providing Legal Aid, Public Interest Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in the form of Mediation as well as Psychosocial Support. The Women and Governance Program focuses on advocacy, policy engagement and transformation of formal and cultural systems to ensure that they are gender-sensitive and responsive, uphold and respect women’s rights.
Kenya is largely a patriarchal society, which has contributed to women’s subjugation in both the private and public spheres. Women have historically taken a secondary position to men, and this tradition is in some instances manifested in the practices and implementation of policies, and laws. Cultural attitudes and low levels of education also impede women’s access to economic opportunities.
Women in Kenya engage in both the domestic labor, informal sector and some in the formal sector thus contributing a lot to the production of wealth. Unfortunately, these efforts do not translate to economic success in the lives of women. Women face exploitation, segregation and continue to work under uncertain terms of employment that affects their ability to improve their economic status. Women in Kenya, therefore, remain a disadvantaged population due to lack of economic empowerment. Inadequacy and poor implementation of laws and policies that would address the economic challenges faced by women aggravate the situation. In addition, low levels of awareness amongst communities on the economic rights of women including their right to fair remuneration and prohibition of discrimination in employment have contributed to the disempowerment of women economically.
FIDA-Kenya continues to advocate for the effective implementation of the provisions of Article 41 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 and laws and policies that promote women’s economic empowerment at the national and county level. The organization has been working with the Kilifi County Government to promote the rights of women including their economic rights. FIDA-Kenya has noted challenges in women fully enjoying their economic rights in the County. The organization recognizes that women empowerment and the promotion of gender equality in accessing economic opportunities are key to achieving sustainable development. The organization also appreciates that an elaborate economic empowerment policy can enhance women’s economic empowerment resulting in improved development outcomes.
Scope of Consultancy
FIDA-Kenya would like to undertake a consultancy whose purpose is to understand the impact of the measures put in place to ensure gender equality and specifically focus on procurement policies and empowerment programmes.
The consultant is to develop a status report on the impact of procurement policies and women empowerment programmes and develop a policy on economic empowerment in Kilifi county.
The organization would like to contract the services of a suitable firm or individual to undertake this assessment.
Overall Objective of the Consultancy
The overall objective of this consultancy is to gather evidence-based information to determine the extent to which women in Kilifi county have benefited economically and develop a status report on the impact of the procurement policies and women empowerment programmes as well as develop a policy that will economically empower women as well as establish best practices to be implemented to improve the livelihoods of women in Kilifi.
Specific Objectives of the Consultancy
To assess gaps in the existing legal and policy framework on procurement processes and women’s economic empowerment in Kilifi County.
To evaluate the implementation and impact of the existing laws and policies on women’s economic empowerment in Kilifi County.
Determine the level of public knowledge and understanding of opportunities for women in public procurement processes and women economic empowerment programmes;
Gauge the level of knowledge on women’s economic rights among County Government officers and staff.
Ascertain the level of women economic development in Kilifi County.
Identify the challenges faced by women in formal and informal employment.
Identify how society promotes and protects women’s economic rights.
To develop an elaborate policy brief on women’s economic empowerment.
Determine the resources required and the institutions that should be established to ensure full implementation of the policy.
The consultant will be expected to utilize a multi-method, qualitative and quantitative participatory approach to conduct the assessment. The questionnaires will be administered to FIDA-Kenya clients and public officers in departments that have worked with FIDA-Kenya at the national and county levels and CSOs.
The Consultant is also expected to submit a status report on the impact of procurement policies and women empowerment programmes as well as to develop an elaborate policy on women’s economic empowerment policy.
Indicative Time Frame
It is expected that the whole task should be completed within 30 days.
The following are the deliverables:
- Inception report detailing the methodology, work plan and budget.
- Submission of all data collection tools for approval before finalizing the same for data collection.
- First draft status report on the impact of procurement policies and women empowerment programmes.
- Submission of hard and electronic copies of materials, data collected/analyzed and other documents.
- A summary PowerPoint presentation highlighting main findings and recommendations.
- Final narrative report of the research conducted detailing the process and methodology, findings, lessons learnt and key recommendations.
- Submission of a status report on the impact of procurement policies and women empowerment programmes in Kilifi County.
- Submission of a policy brief on women’s economic empowerment focusing on Kilifi County.
- The consultant will have direct communication with FIDA-Kenya’s Senior Legal Counsel and Monitoring and Evaluation officer during the execution of this assignment.
Allocated budget of KES 300,000 for carrying out this service in its entirety.
Expected Profile of the Consultant
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Law, Research or Gender Studies. (Master’s degree in the above will be an added advantage.)
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience undertaking research on human rights.
- Evidence of undertaking of similar work in the last five years.
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
Interested individuals, companies or research firms should submit a detailed expression of interest (technical and financial proposal):
● The technical proposal should include an interpretation of the objectives of the consultancy, detailed methodology and an elaborate work plan. Organization/individual capacity statement, experience and activities related to gender empowerment, CVs of the consulting team and their roles in the achievement of the assignment; names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional referees.
● The financial proposal should include a detailed budget proposal; a detailed profile of the firm including contact and physical address, telephone numbers and a copy of the registration certificate, VAT, and PIN where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their expression of interest documents (in PDF format), clearly marked “EIO/02/2021: Development of a Status Report & Women Economic Empowerment Policy for Kilifi County” on or before Friday, 19th February 2021 to: The Executive Director, Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA-Kenya), Amboseli Road, Off Gitanga Road, Lavington. P.O. Box 46324 – 00100, NAIROBI or Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.