Job Title: Disaster Response Manager
Job location: HQ – Remote
Report to: Director of Health and Emergency Programs
MedGlobal is a global humanitarian non-profit organization providing medical and health education services to people in need, including refugees and displaced persons, in disaster and underserved regions. The organization is composed of medical and public health volunteers of diverse backgrounds.
CODE OF CONDUCT
MedGlobal Code of Conduct reflects the profession’s core set of beliefs and values of care, respect, trust, and integrity. These beliefs and values are fundamental to MedGlobal employees, volunteers, interns, consultants, officers’ coordinators, and directors to guide their practice and conduct.
The Code is organized into categories, as follows:
- Always act with fairness, honesty, integrity, and openness; respect the opinions of others and treat all with equality and dignity without regard to gender, race, color, creed, ancestry, place of origin, political beliefs, religion, marital status, disability, age, or sexual orientation.
- Provide a positive and valued experience for those receiving service within and outside MedGlobal.
CHILD PROTECTION POLICY
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to MedGlobal, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work.
MedGlobal is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
DISCRIMINATION, ABUSE AND HARASSMENT POLICY
MedGlobal provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. MedGlobal employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside the organization.
MedGlobal’s Disaster Response Manager is responsible for emergency responses in our country offices (Bangladesh, Colombia, Yemen, Syria, Gaza, Lebanon, Sudan, Turkey and Ukraine) and in disaster settings around the world. The role involves leading and managing emergency response programs in disaster-affected and low-resource settings, ensuring quality and timely delivery of health services to affected communities. The Disaster Response Manager will also work closely with local MedGlobal’s field teams, volunteers, professionals, and other stakeholders to ensure efficient and effective coordination of disaster response efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Management of Disaster Responses
- Leads and manages MedGlobal’s disaster response efforts, including emergency response plans, protocols, and strategies of HQ, country offices and partners.
- Ensure timely and effective response to disaster situations, including assessment of needs, deployment of teams, procurement of necessary supplies and equipment, and coordination with local partners and stakeholders.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with local communities, partners, and government entities to ensure effective coordination and collaboration in disaster response efforts.
- Support the volunteers coordinator in deploying medical missions as they pertain to emergency response.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance to MedGlobal’s field teams and volunteer medical professionals in emergency response and disaster management.
- Monitors and evaluates MedGlobal’s disaster response programs to ensure quality and effectiveness, and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Writes reports for donors communications and other stakeholders on MedGlobal disaster response activities.
- Develops and manages budgets and resources for disaster response programs, ensuring efficient and effective use of resources.
- Provides regular updates and reports to the Director of Programs and other stakeholders on the status of disaster response programs and initiatives.
- Deploys frequently to provide leadership, technical expertise, or support in international emergency or disaster situations (40%).
- Fosters a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement within the team and with others in the organization.
Capacity Building and Learning
- Develops disaster response team roster expertise and response capacity including producing and delivering MedGlobal disaster response team training curriculum
- Documents key organizational learning, including publication and or presentation on evidence-based learning, results and recommendations
- Builds the capacity of in-country teams for disaster response.
Disaster Response Program Development
- Explores and pursues disaster response funding opportunities through strategically identifying, pursuing and leveraging key donor relationships, specific grant opportunities and humanitarian partnerships.
- Writes high-quality concept notes and proposals for disaster response while ensuring effective collaboration with M&E, programs, country offices and other relevant departments
Internal and External Coordination
- Represents MedGlobal in relevant forums and events related to disaster response and humanitarian aid.
- Liaises closely with and represents MedGlobal to donors and partners to elevate rapport and future financial support for international disaster response activities
- Ensures coordinated MedGlobal responses through collaboration with inter-department stakeholders.
- Represent MedGlobal on international humanitarian technical working groups, in external NGO/ partner networks and forums (such as InterAction).
- Involves MedGlobal staff in the writing and editing of medical or advocacy article(s) related to MedGlobal projects.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, degree in health or nutrition-related fields is a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience in medical response, international disaster response, emergency management, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing disaster response programs in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Strong knowledge of humanitarian principles, international disaster response frameworks, and best practices in emergency response and disaster management.
- Experience working in collaboration with local communities, partners, and government entities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in other languages is desirable.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with staff and stakeholders
- Passion for and commitment to MedGlobal’s mission and values
- Willingness to travel to disaster-affected and low-resource and insure settings on short notice required.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Disaster Response Manager. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants are encouraged to apply early.