The Global Strategy Network (TGSN) is a fast-growing and dynamic international development consultancy implementing challenging projects in some of the most troubled parts of the world. As we expand our global footprint, we’re looking for a Director of People & Operations to design and build systems to support our growth. This includes creating tech-forward, scalable solutions to support and manage teams across diverse contexts, bolster our knowledge and expertise base, encourage a culture of openness and collaboration, and craft and implement company policies appropriate to our varied projects. These policies and systems will span compliance, procurement, recruitment and human resources.
The Director of People & Operations will also play a leading role in managing internal communications and shaping how TGSN presents itself publicly and to donors. They will oversee all non-financial supporting functions within the company but will coordinate closely with the Finance Department. The position will be based in London, reporting directly to the founders and supported by a remote HR & Operations Coordinator.
Responsibilities & Outcomes
The successful candidate should be self-starting and comfortable working in a start-up environment. They should be tech savvy and highly organised, and capable of rapidly building strong working relationships with Directors and Project Managers across the company. The role will grow with the company and evolve with time, but will have the following core requirements:
- Developing a strong understanding of the various legislations and donor requirements according to which TGSN needs to operate;
- Reviewing existing day-to-day procedures and systems to identify ways to increase efficiency and/or replacing with new, technology-driven systems;
- Overseeing the development and compliance of up-to-date and living policies that reflect the organisation;
- Developing and maintaining a risk management framework to mitigate operational risks and ensure business continuity;
- Managing a remote HR & Operations Coordinator and growing the Operations Team in line with the company’s overall growth and strategy;
- With support from the HR & Ops Coordinator, formalise a company-wide HR strategy covering both core and project-based recruitment, onboarding, performance reviews, staff feedback and offboarding;
- Working with the Business Development Team to ensure that TGSN is properly prepared to deliver projects on which we are bidding if successful, through e.g. considerations of staffing, management systems, procurement, recruitment and logistics;
- Working with the Project Directors and Project Managers to ensure TGSN’s project implementation is smooth and that all procedures are understood and followed correctly during delivery;
- Liaising with directors and founders to understand, manage and anticipate company-wide requirements in line with expected growth and activities;
- Ensuring all staff across the company are kept informed of relevant developments and news;
- Overseeing TGSN’s external comms and profile in consultation with the senior management team.
Key Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, operations management, engineering, or a related field. MBA or advanced degree preferred;
- 7+ years of progressive experience in operations management;
- Proven track record of successfully leading and developing high-performing teams in complex and diverse environments;
- In-depth understanding of financial management, budgeting, and cost control strategies specific to government-funded projects;
- Proficiency in utilising data analytics and technology to make data-driven decisions and improve operational performance. Experience with implementing and leveraging enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to identify operational risks and develop effective mitigation plans;
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate with cross-functional teams, government agencies, and stakeholders from different cultural backgrounds;
- Change management expertise to lead and implement organisational initiatives effectively, considering international project dynamics;
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance standards and requirements specific to UK government-funded projects in various countries is an advantage.
How to apply
If you meet the qualifications above and have the right to work in your country of residence, please submit your application via the link below;
- Last day for applications is 03 October 2023.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- TGSN reserves the right to fill the position before the application period is closed.