Duty Station: East Jerusalem
Application Deadline: 20 September 2022
Women are encouraged to Apply
The OQ’s Energy Team is currently supporting the Palestinian Authority (PA) on a number of strategic initiatives to support the development of the Palestinian energy sector. This includes support in the fields of electricity, natural gas and renewables, in addition to wider sector support. Under the overall supervision of the Head of Mission and in close collaboration with the Deputy Head of Mission,the role of the Director of Energy (DoE) is to lead the energy team and delivery of the OQ’s energy work-streams. This role represents a senior and central leadership position within the OQ, requiring high-level engagement with a wide range of stakeholders in the political, technical and diplomatic communities, including Ministers, Ambassadors, and senior government officials. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to lead a work programme central to the advancement of Palestinian economic and institutional development and empowerment, working within a challenging and rewarding environment.
Specifically, the Director of Energy will:
- Lead the OQ’s energy work programme in accordance with the objectives set out in the OQ Strategy.
- Manage the OQ’s Energy Team including, but not limited to, planning, supervising, reporting and evaluating the team and their work.
- Maintaining a strategic and policy focus on the sector.
- Coordinate and work with senior stakeholders in the Palestinian Authority, Government of Israel, the international community and the private sector in respect of developing and facilitating implementation of energy projects and initiatives.
- Working with and supporting other teams at the OQ to ensure a comprehensive and coordinated approach to multi-sector issues.
The work is of a highly confidential nature and the DoE must maintain the highest standards of confidentiality.
Advanced degree (MA or PhD) is required, preferably in engineering, business, law or a related field. A Bachelor’s degree in combination with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- At least seven years of work experience in the energy sector is required
- Relevant experience in oil and gas, power generation or renewable energy is required.
- Prior extensive political engagement experience with senior stakeholders is required.
- Prior work in the energy sector in a developing economy is desired, with previous work in a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern country an advantage.
- Prior experience in stakeholder management is required
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or Hebrew is an asset.
How to apply
To apply, please visit our website through this link: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=24565