The READY initiative is looking for a qualified Global Health Digital content, video producer & storyteller for creating a series of stories from humanitarian practitioners on individual and organization level of integration during epidemics and outbreaks of major concern.
Timeframe: November 2021 to March 2022
Level of Effort: 30 working days, with a possibility of extension
A few words about READY
In 2018, the United States Agency for International Development’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) funded Save the Children to lead a three-year initiative to augment global capacity to respond to major disease outbreaks. Through a consortium of partners, the supplements existing efforts to strengthen coordination between global humanitarian outbreak structures and operational organizations responding to outbreaks. Additionally, READY is building and retaining capacity among operational consortium members, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and other stakeholders to more quickly and effectively respond to major outbreaks with an approach that addresses the holistic needs of affected communities with Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) at the center. READY’s approach is integrated, and works to bring together Maternal, Newborn and Reproductive Health, Child Protection, Agriculture and Food Security, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH), Nutrition and cross-cutting issues such as ethics, risk communication and community engagement, and gender. For more information about READY, visit us at www.ready-initiative.org.
Integration stories digital library project
READY is creating an online digital library with stories developed and narrated by humanitarian personnel from various technical and operational backgrounds. The stories will follow a creative and engaging communication approach that will be defined together with the selected Digital Content Producer/Storyteller. Selected storytellers will include examples from their work experience in different outbreak responses and at different points in their career, how they define integration and integrated programming, some of the operational and technical challenges, ways of working that were conducive to better collaboration, things they would do differently, and how they can inspire others to work in an integrated manner. The final structure of the story will be developed by a Digital Content Producer/ Storyteller consultant in collaboration with READY’s technical experts to ensure that the visual, audio and written stories are addressing the critical questions around how humanitarians can work together better in this current cluster architecture.
What are we looking for?
The Digital Content Producer/Storyteller brings the stories of humanitarians to life through dynamic and compelling storytelling and strong copywriting that engage the audience. Strategic and creative, the Storyteller works the storytelling spectrum from gathering stories from the field to packaging them for our strategic purposes. They are engaged in our brand strategy and bring a willingness to experiment with fresh approaches and language. The Digital Content Producer/Storyteller is familiar with digital media, best practices in web editing, video editing and a general understanding of global health issues and the humanitarian field.
The successful candidate will be a strategic and creative writer and video editor, who can deliver character-driven, emotionally engaging digital content tailored for different target audiences and organizational goals. They are an agile writer who can do both long- and short-form pieces for target audiences with varying levels of understanding of READY’s work in global health and integration during outbreaks. They take feedback constructively and view writing as a collaborative process. They are an experienced interviewer, researcher, editor, and writer who can take raw, and often technical content, and translate it into professional and compelling multimedia visual and written stories. They are diplomatic, have strong judgment and team skills, and are a strong collaborator and problem solver.
The successful candidate works well independently, though they will have a strong support from the Integration lead and a core Task Team that will focus on this project.
As a Digital content producer/storyteller you will:
- Report to the Integration Lead and collaborate with Integration Task Team
- Be part of a small creative Integration Task Team that will have collaborative meetings to advance this project
- Create the overall storytelling approach, structure of the story, style, information needed
- Conceptualize, develop, produce and deliver media productions in collaboration with the Integration Lead and Task Team. These projects will include, but are not limited to video production, audio production and written stories. The team is open to new emerging media and fresh ideas for engagement of target audience.
- Support the selection of individuals and organizations that will share their stories based on predefined criteria together with the Task Team
- Introduce the project to the selected participants that expressed interest to participate while coordinating the process of collecting the interviews, guiding the participants, recording on line where possible supporting remotely any video recording if it is available for the individual or their organization.
- Edit the videos, audio and written stories for uploading to READY’s website.
- Ensure participants’ consent and Save the Children’s policies are respected throughout the process.
- 1 workplan outlining the storytelling approach and process steps for collecting, producing, and publishing individual stories
- 1 interview guide for working with the selected participants, including interview questions and case study templates
- 10 stories produced and published
- Written story, video production with subtitles (other production ideas will be defined together with the consultant)
- Video outputs in .mp4 file and a timed caption .srt file.
- BA/S or equivalent in related field required – English, journalism, communications, cinematography/filmography or other relevant education or equivalent experience in similar field of work.
- Demonstrated video and audio editing and producing skills. Other emerging new media experience including animation is preferred
- 3+ years of professional writing and editorial experience
- Diverse portfolio of writing and visual samples
- Track record of using purposeful storytelling to drive organizational impact and business results.
- Experience translating technical source material into accessible compelling human stories for a general audience.
- Knowledge of WordPress content management and basic coding is preferred.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Familiarity with global health preferred.
- The awareness of international nonprofit healthcare challenges, current issues and sources of technical support and partnerships.
How to apply:
Submission of Proposal
- Total proposal must be less than 5 pages, excluding annexes/attachments
- Proposal must include the following:
- Description of the individual(s) and/or firm and their relevant experience (including CV)
- Proposed approach and timeline, aligning with the above “Consultancy deliverables”
- Visual and written portfolio (case studies, humanitarian field stories etc) samples
- Budget (including a breakdown of expected level of effort and cost per deliverable)
Please submit complete proposals to Laura Romig, READY Senior Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 24, 2022.