Deployable Communications Specialist
Disasters and conflicts threaten children’s rights and damage the societies they live in. Last year alone, Plan International responded to 81 disasters globally to champion and uphold the rights of children, particularly girls, before, during and after emergencies.
To sustain its engagement with children affected by crises, our Humanitarian team is currently recruiting committed humanitarian experts to deploy 9 months of the year to various emergency contexts. This role is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the growth of our Core Surge team and to support children and their communities around the world in building resilience to increasing disaster risks.
The Deployable Communications Specialist is expected to work as an integral part of the country office. They are deployed to lead all communications for the response and support Plan International to communicate effectively with key stakeholders including the media, supporters and donors. The post holder will develop public messaging and create high-quality comms materials for use in Plan International’s global channels and across our network of National Organisations.
- Substantial experience working in journalism, media relations or PR at an international level.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English with the ability to quickly translate complex information into strong messages and compelling content.
- Track record of writing news articles, features, picture stories, op-eds and press releases and developing vlogs and visual content.
- Multimedia skills, including photography and filming.
- Proven success at pitching stories to the media and working with journalists.
- Strong understanding of international humanitarian and development issues and rights-based work.
- Practical experience working in complex emergency settings.
- Practical experience with and ability to organise media visits, set up interviews and brief spokespeople.
- Track record of handling complex, sensitive, and fast-moving situations and working in high-pressure environments with tight deadlines.
- Good understanding of social media and digital channels.
- Keeps up to date with key humanitarian and international development issues and trends and can spot new opportunities as they arise.
- Strong organisational skills to deal with a complex work environment.
- Work enthusiastically as part of a team and forms effective and constructive working relationships across the whole organisation and wider network within the sector.
- Good understanding of humanitarian values, principles, the Humanitarian Charter and Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
- Committed to actively upholding Plan International’s vision, values and behaviours and policies, including the Say Yes! To Keeping Children Safe Policy.
How to apply
Please visit our site at https://jobs.plan-international.org/job-invite/45941/ for further information and to apply for this role.