The strategic communications unit at ECF is looking for someone with strong data engineering and architecture skills. They must be interested in creating infrastructure to analyse the world’s news, and to support analysts in developing actionable insights for program teams. The successful candidate will be excited by the opportunities of natural language processing, and has experience working with large text datasets across multiple languages.
The Data Engineer – Measurement, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) needs to be familiar with cloud platforms for big data warehousing and analysis (e.g. BigQuery, RedShift, Snowflake). This role involves joining a new and growing team. It is ideal for someone who enjoys both rolling up their sleeves and solving day-to-day problems, but also contributing to the team’s vision, processes and planning.
- Plan, create and maintain scalable systems to store and analyse data from external APIs and internal applications.
- Work within a growing team to develop processes and workflows to structure the development of quality software and analysis, which meets the needs of diverse internal stakeholders.
- Investigate, evaluate and implement new approaches to measuring changes in media discourse around climate change, drawing on tools such as natural language processing and knowledge graphs.
- Contribute to the expansion of a data-driven learning culture within the global strategic communications team
Experience and competencies
This role is ideal for an intermediate-level data engineer with multiple years of experience and training in software development or a related field. The ideal candidate has:
- Interest in climate change, news media, politics and social movements
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP) for data warehousing and big data analysis.
- Experience in locating and managing data; this includes database management (SQL/NOSQL), data cleansing, web scraping, working with APIs, etc.
- Experience with Git, Docker/Kubernetes,
- Demonstrated knowledge of Python and SQL; experience with contemporary natural language processing tools (e.g., Hugging Face Transformers) a strong advantage.
- Experience with social listening and media monitoring platforms is a plus (Event Registry News API, Meltwater, Talkwalker, etc.)
- The ability to flourish in a fast-paced and independent work environment, and to work nimbly across phone/video conferencing, Slack, and multiple time zones
- Excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written) with additional languages as a plus
- Insatiable curiosity about the world and the ability to teach yourself new skills
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year
Flexible for candidates in Europe, Africa or the Americas. Time zones in Western Europe or eastern regions of the Americas are preferred.
Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
As soon as possible
How to apply
How to apply
Please upload below:
- short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
- both in English!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.