Position Title : Data Analyst and Researcher
Duty Station : Homebased
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 May 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM) in the International Organization for Migration IOM Afghanistan, working as part of the Stabilization, Reintegration and Resilience (SRR) unit and in collaboration with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Programme Support as well as Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) team, the Data Analyst and Researcher will be responsible and accountable for supervising and coordinating SRR data analysis and output production including secondary research and reporting to inform activities in coordination with the SRR Project Officer (Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Spatial Planning).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Carry out data analysis of SRR related component data and DTM data throughout intervention locations and at a provincial or district scale.
Automate data analysis and the production of charts/tables using R or an equivalent programming language.
Compile, document and organize a database and library of non-spatial data on projects and interventions taking place in intervention locations.
Closely coordinate with programme managers across IOM to define data analysis requirements and data collection requirements.
Closely coordinate on GIS and other data-sharing with IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix and other programme units as required.
Provide technical inputs for tool development for data collection exercises where the data will be used by the SRR Unit.
Recommend data collection activities to address gaps in information.
Carry out secondary research to provide context to assessment findings and produce a detailed overview of the provincial level humanitarian and development situation in Afghanistan. This includes input into written content on factsheets and reports.
Provide support on digitization and mapping following participatory mapping exercises held with local communities.
Analyse service availability, focusing on population versus existing capacity of services and facilities, in line with Sectoral standards.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Information Management, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), geography, statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in implementing information management, data analysis and assessment
• Experience in supporting teams and proven good communicational, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills;
• Experience automating data analysis using R (or an equivalent programming language), including experience with tidyr and ggplot2 (essential). Experience with R Shiny and Leaflet would be beneficial;
• Experience with large humanitarian datasets and an understanding of humanitarian data types
(KI data, household surveys etc.) (essential);
• Experience coordinating between different units and agencies to rationalize and streamline data processes;
• Experience with international organizations ,United Nations (UN) agencies,
International/Non-Governmental Organizations (I/NGO) is preferred;
• Experience working with staff from diverse environments in remote and hardship settings is desirable;
• Experience working on reintegration, humanitarian or development issues is an advantage;
• Experience with local government and/or urban and regional planning would be beneficial.
• Familiarity with analysis of large-scale datasets is required (more than 50,000 rows and 800 columns).
• Applied knowledge of data analysis, utilizing R or equivalent programming language
• Ability to produce scalable, automated analysis, including outputting charts and reports
• Knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the
• Knowledge of GIS is beneficial, in particular ArcGIS Pro.
• Knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Illustrator is beneficial.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Pashto and Dari is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
This position is Homebased but with possible relocation to Almaty.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.p
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 May 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.05.2022 to 23.05.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 138 Data Analyst and Researcher (P2) Homebased (57560232) Released
Posting: Posting NC57560233 (57560233) Released