Contract length: 9 Months
Hours: 50% (with the possibility of the role becoming full-time depending on funding)
Location: Home-based (GMT)
Travel: None anticipated; potentially travel to TWB program countries/other, TBC
Reporting to: Global Product Manager
Deadline: May 13, 2021
We offer in addition to salary:
- Remote working and flexible timings
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays (prorated for part-time)
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
This is a part-time role to act as conversational designer on TWB’s growing range of language technology products. The primary focus will be to build language technology products that allow speakers of marginalized languages and others to engage with information and provide feedback to humanitarians.
The Conversation Designer will be an essential member of a team that, among other projects, is building a chatbot in Nigeria to share trustworthy and engaging information about the COVID-19 vaccine, and a chatbot to help a UN agency better reach people on the move in Latin America, including Venezuelan refugees and Central Americans who are migrating toward the U.S. border.
Working with humanitarians, linguists, researchers and developers, the Conversation Designer will bring creativity, analytical skills and organization to the team, helping ensure our products are functional, relevant and engaging.
- Acts as a design liaison between partners, technology and local teams, working directly with stakeholders to determine conversational design requirements.
- Lead local teams through design activities from persona development through in-person user testing to ensure the right conversational experience is built.
- Engages with end-users (via focus groups, surveys, etc) to understand information gaps and priorities and ensure that content and format are relevant to them
- Visually articulates design choices and concepts to various stakeholders to minimize ambiguity and ensures that all stakeholders sign off on final designs.
- Distill design input into clear actionable development requirements for the engineering team.
- Partners with development teams to create and communicate new release features.
- Reviews data and user testing results managed by local teams to understand user conversations and map trends, extrapolate needs that might lead to design changes; when needed plans different tests (e.g. A/B, focus groups, usability testing); iterates based on results to ensure user-centric and highly usable products.
- Communicates effectively with positive impact; expresses ideas clearly in documents and written communications
Technology & Design
Define and implement a design workflow to iteratively improve the bot experience.
Develops and communicates a point of view on conversational topics.
Leverages tools that make the design and deployment process simple and scalable.
Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and implementing agencies.
The Conversational Designer should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language and language technology. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB’s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Experience in Conversational Design
- An understanding of how different channels ( SMS, WhatsApp, Telegram, etc.) inform communication behaviours and styles.
- Knowledge in using wireframes and other visual aids to define requirements
- Knowledge of general design principles
- Knowledge of conversational AI platforms (good to have)
- Understanding of NLP concepts (good to have)
- Empathy and ability to design for disparate groups is essential; sense of humor, and ability to use it in conversational design, a huge plus
- Passionate about evidence- and impact-driven work
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Good with people; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Thrives in a fast-paced, energetic environment.
- Willing to take initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning.
- Able to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- Fluent in English; other languages all considered a plus
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
How to apply:
To apply, please click here