Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. Our goal is to transform the life of every person impacted by a cleft lip or palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free, life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
Smile Train is looking for exceptional people to join a world-wide team of dedicated, passionate, professionals. Our team are creative and highly motivated individuals working to make a positive impact. Come join us!
We are looking for a talented driven, detail-oriented Content Creator to administer our social media accounts and website for our Africa Team. You will be responsible for creating original text and video content for our Africa website and social media handles; you’ll manage posts and respond to followers and ensure brand consistency. The Content Creator will optimize our social media platforms, working with colleagues in Africa to enhance our storytelling initiatives and generate novel work. We expect you to be up to date with the latest digital technologies and social media trends. You should have excellent communication skills and be able to express Smile Train’s views creatively both on social media and Smile Train Africa website, ensuring high levels of web traffic and customer engagement.
The Content Creator will report to the Communications Manager, Africa. This is a full-time job starting in September 2022. Our ideal candidate is an African-national, living anywhere in the continent; preference will be given to candidates will full fluency in both English and French. Significant travel is expected (40% or more).
- Learn about cleft lip and palate and the associated challenges that patients, families and local media professionals face around the world
- Research, develop and write stories about Smile Train cleft patients and local medical partners and supporters, following journalistic standards, in order to educate the audience on cleft and build Smile Train brand recognition in Africa.
- Write, review, edit, and update content for the Smile Train Africa websites, newsletter, marketing materials, and similar platforms
- Edit and optimize marketing copy from Global headquarters and Africa
- Adhere to and iterate upon Smile Train’s branding voice
- Use strategic thinking and data driven insights to adapt content that better connects people to our brand
- Develop and implement a social media strategy that would effectively promote Smile Train Africa offerings and to reach target audience
- Tie Smile Train’s strategic goals into compelling storytelling
- Use social media to engage audiences, respond to questions or complaints, and promote Smile Train Africa initiatives
- Monitor social media and Smile Train Africa website metrics
- Utilizing SEO methods to increase site traffic
Our ideal candidate has/is
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/ International Relations or a similar field.
- Well versed with Social Media Management platforms like Sprout Social, Hootsuite, etc.
- 5+ years’ experience creating strong, engaging content, having written experience in the healthcare space is an added advantage
- An understanding of SEO best practices
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, proofreading, and editing; able to customize content as appropriate
- Professional fluency in both English and French; Portuguese is an added advantage
- Excellent research, organizational, and time management skills
- Strong listening and communication skills
- The capacity to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work efficiently without compromising quality or accuracy
- Skilled in basic graphic design for quality fliers and posters, such as InDesign, is an added advantage
- Able and excited to travel to meet patients, medical partners and staff (up to 40% expected)
How to apply
Smile Train believes that a workforce made up of people from diverse social, racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds results in a dynamic workplace and enhances the important work that we do. We are committed providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, marital/familial status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, sexual and reproductive health decisions, military status, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
To be considered, please submit a resume, a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role. In addition, we ask candidates to upload one writing sample (maximum 500 words) to support the application.
The application deadline is July 31, 2022, we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.