Position Title : Consultant – Web Development for the Migration Network Hub
Duty Station : Home based
Classification : Consultant, Grade Other
Type of Appointment : Consultant, three months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 03 November 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Nature of Consultancy
Web Development for the Migration Network Hub
Project Context and Scope
The Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM), agreed in 2018, led to the development of the United Nations Network on Migration (Network). The Network, consisting of various partners within and outside the UN system, provides effective, timely and coordinated system-wide support to Member States for the implementation, follow-up and review of the GCM. In this regard, the “Migration Network Hub” (Hub) was established as a virtual “meeting space” and knowledge repository for governments, stakeholders and experts to access and share migration-related information and services.
Network members oversee the work of the Hub through Core Working Group 1.2, which is chaired by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC).
Objective of Assignment
The consultant will provide web development support to maintain and further develop the Migration Network Hub web platform, using Drupal 9, particularly in advance of the International Migration Review Forum (IMRF).
The consultant will report to the Senior Knowledge Management Officer for the Migration Network Hub at IOM-GMDAC, Berlin, in close collaboration with the Senior Programme Manager of the EU-UN Migration Capacity Building Programme in the Secretariat of the UN Network on Migration, based at IOM Headquarters.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing
Global Migration Data and Analysis Centre (GMDAC) / UN Network on Migration Secretariat
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Programme the back-end of the Migration Network Hub, particularly the new Practices Repository and Discussion Spaces sections in advance of the IMRF, by developing high-quality code based on Drupal best practices.
Optimize search function across the discussion spaces and ensure discussions are integrated into the Hub search.
Configure Drupal 9 modules and content types where required to ensure desired display and functionality, including adjustments to the global search, as needed
Ensure consistency with other sections of the existing UN Network on Migration website, which hosts the Hub
Collaborate with project managers, designers, front-end developer, and other Drupal developers
Write and keep up-to-date comprehensive documentation of the Drupal platform
Ensure the Hub is always running the latest secure code and custom code is thoroughly security tested
Implement bug fixes and other improvements necessary for a smooth user experience
Stay up-to-date with the latest best practises in the field of Drupal Development and apply to the Hub
Perform other related duties as required.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
• Deliverables submitted in a timely manner
• Deliverables approved by Sr. Knowledge Management Coordinator and Sr Programme
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education, experience and/or skills required
• University degree in Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant experience; or,
• Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven experience in Drupal development;
• In-depth knowledge of best practices in Drupal development and delivery, web front-end and back-end development tools and techniques and software security;
• Ability to integrate large scale systems or third party products;
• A track record of delivering high-quality, Drupal-based solutions in a timely and effective manner;
• Experience with online knowledge management platforms and/or online discussions – including within the UN system – desirable;
• Web design skills an asset;
• Good communication skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French
and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data
Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
• Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 03 November 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 21.10.2021 to 03.11.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CON 2021 20 – Consultant – Web Development for the Migration Network Hub – Homebased
Posting: Posting NC57227261 (57227261) Released