Position Title: Consultant – Visualization and Graphic Design
Duty Station: Homebased
Classification: Consultant, Grade Other
Type of Appointment: Consultant, two months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 September 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Project Context and Scope
This Consultancy will support the Global Programme on Making Migration Work for Development (Phase III) funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation and jointly implemented by IOM and UNDP. The programme will have a global focus with direct country level implementation in Ecuador, Morocco, Nepal, Serbia, Senegal and Tunisia and association with Bangladesh, Jamaica, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova and the Philippines. The Programme will be led by a Programme Management Unit.
The main objective of the Programme is to enable the target governments to better govern migration to increase the human development outcomes and mitigate the risks for migrants, their families and communities at origin and destination. In particular, the Programme aims to further solidify results and achievements reached to date and help translate policy-oriented and process driven actions into concrete results on the ground. To achieve this, the programme will continue to support governments in the six target countries to apply a ‘whole-of-government’ approach to migration governance with a focus on four main sectoral areas: (i) health; (ii) economic inclusion and employment; (iii) education and; (iv) social security and human rights, which will have a direct impact on enhancing the well-being of migrants, their families and their communities in the target localities. Specifically, migrants and communities will be able to exert positive development impact from migration through more coherent and results oriented policies and implementation mechanisms and stronger involvement of local authorities, private sector and diaspora and global advocacy. The results and lessons learnt from this phase will continue to be fed into relevant global dialogues for enhanced global understanding of how to effectively ensure policy coherence in migration governance for development.
To articulate and disseminate the results and good practices from the Programme, and to showcase how practices on the ground can translate into stronger policies and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for all, including migrants, their families and communities, the Programme is establishing Country Results fiches as Programme specific knowledge products.
Country results fiches for each of the eleven countries participating in the programme, which articulate – in a visual infographic manner – how the countries have achieved policy coherence, rolled out select policies at local level and how this contributes to the indicators and targets of the Sustainable Development Goals. This is to be provided through a timeline across various phases of Programming with a view to showcasing how policy and practice is brought together and achieves results:
- Basic info (title of project, country name, year)
- National and local activities of the programme
- How activities support the development and implementation of main national and local policies related to migration or other key sectors (e.g. health)
- How the joined policy and activity approach leads to key results for communities and beneficiaries (e.g. data, numbers such as “50 women and 50 men received job offers”)
- All of which ultimately support overall prosperity and development of the country by linking to SDGs and SDG targets
The layout of this product should be designed in one style, with complementarity and coherency, to ensure that the content of the country fiches can be easily pulled out and repackaged where needed to showcase successes in global policy processes, strategic reports and position papers, research, etc. The design should therefore be as graphic and image-based as possible (captivating and short visualizations of results without long sections of text; condensing 5 page summaries into 1-2 pages).
The product will be designed and produced for consumption by a variety of stakeholders and partners (e.g. UN Agencies, donors, national governments, local governments, private sector, academia, and practitioners, etc.) in both print PDF and web-based PDF versions. The content may be translated into three languages – English, French, and Spanish – and not all of the content will be available before the end of the contract. For this reason, the PMU would request templates and the original design files (print and web) for country results fiches so that the PMU can continue to insert new content as and when it is available.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
This consultancy aims to provide support in visualization, developing the design and layout of the Country results fiches which will serve as final communication and results products of the Programme and support the implementation of the Global Knowledge Management, Capacity Development and Communications Strategy.
Target: The aim is to ensure that a broad range of complex information from a 4 year Programme is easily digestible and understandable by unfamiliar practitioners who may have diverse and non-migration backgrounds.
The Consultant will work under direct supervision of the Programme Manager and in coordination with other staff of the Programme Management Unit (PMU).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Tasks to be performed under this contract
- Based on the available draft concepts and current conceptualization of the Country Fichesand in consultation with the Project team, participate and help conceptualize a design workshop to unpack the brief and understand the needs.
- On the basis of the above, provide a series of example design ideas to pitch in a design review.
- Develop draft versions of the preferred design options for one country fiche based on a further design review, finalize the design and content.
- Apply the same design to all other country fiches, including translations.
- Provide all templates, design files, etc. in InDesign so the PMU can populate and adapt the designs as further content is made available in the coming year and as translations of content are established.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- Satisfactory completion of tasks indicated in these ToRs.
- Timely delivery of deliverables as indicated in these ToRs.
- Compliance with IOM House Style Manual (2018); IOM Brand Guidelines (2018), IOMPublications Layout Manual (2018), IOM Spelling List (2018) as well as IOM Data Protection Principles (2009).
Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment
- A series of design ideas for the country fiches to pitch in a design review.
- Draft versions of the preferred design and layout for one country fiche (for both print and web versions).
- Finalized versions of the design and layout of the country fiches printing PDF (one design/templates in InDesign and 11 final and publishable fiches for country fiches).
- Finalized versions of the design and layout of the country fiches – web PDF (one design/templates in InDesign and 11 final and publishable fiches for country fiches).
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Graphic Design, Marketing Design, Visual Arts and Illustration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of relevant professional experience;
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience
- Additional professional training or certification in visualization techniques and tools at theadvanced level will be a distinct advantage.
- At least two years as a professional visual designer or similar role, including a portfolio of work;
- Experience of working as part of a global team, in the UN and/or any other international agency is an added advantage.
- Advanced proficiency in visual design software, such as Illustrator, inDesign, Photoshop andCanva is required;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to elaborate and visualize new concepts and design ideas as a result of discussions;
- Attention to detail, excellent planning and organizational skills, ability to work independently and meet the deadlines;
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
For applicants to be considered, applicants are required to apply via PRIMS IOM e-recruitment system and attach the following:
- Motivation letter
- Portfolio of previous works
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE, by 19 September 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CON 2022 28 Consultant – Visualization and Graphic Design – Homebased (57735201) Released
Posting: Posting NC57735202 (57735202) Released