MicroMentor is an initiative of Mercy Corps and functions much like a technology start-up. Through a proprietary online mentoring platform, MicroMentor provides a technology solution that connects small business owners and entrepreneurs with skilled volunteer business mentors on a global scale. In addition to managing the general community of users, MicroMentor provides a niche product offering to corporations, international NGOs and government entities as a program-implementing partner.
Project Description/ Objectives:
Senior Software Engineer Contractor to lead and support MicroMentor technology team in architecting and implementing, from a concept, a new Node.js Express back-end with a GraphQL API for a Flutter based front-end. Additionally, Sr. Software Engineer Contractor to also lead and support the first implementation of a new Flutter based front-end.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to work out the concept of a new Node.js Express
- Define data models, use cases, business rules and content delivery needs for the new back-end
- Analyze the previous generation back-end, for a better understanding of the mission
- Define the architecture of this back-end, and document it for implementation by a development team
- Lead the first implementation of this back-end, while following modern best practices and test driven development
- Lead the first implementation of the Flutter front-end
- Provide pull requests for completed work, enabling peer reviews
- Participate in code reviews
- Assist in quality assurance efforts, such as testing and resolving defects
- Documentation for the concept of the new back-end
- Documentation for the architecture of the new back-end
- Well written and documented, peer reviewed source code with passing test cases
- Active collaboration with internal stakeholders and a MicroMentor development team
- Required Meetings
- Weekly sprint planning
- Weekly product status check-ins
Timeframe / Schedule:
Maximum 120 billable days of service
Contract to be of 6-month duration, working remotely.
The Consultant will report to:
Director, Operations, MicroMentor
The Consultant will work closely with:
MicroMentor Product Development Team
Required Experience & Skills:
- 5-10 years of relevant technical experience
- BA/BS degree and 5+ years of relevant industry experience (degree in computer science or related field preferred but not required)
- 5+ years experience working with web applications, both front- and back-end
- Experience working in a Distributed/Cloud-based environment to build highly scalable applications (AWS, Google Cloud, etc.)
- Experience with development of large-scale software projects
- Experience Node.js Express
- Experience with SQL and/or NoSQL database technologies
- Experience with RESTful and GraphQL API development
- Experience with interfacing a Node.js back-end to a mobile application
- Experience writing unit tests and integration tests.
- Experience integrating with third-party services such as CRM, email/SMS providers
- Experience with sysops tasks (CI, containerization, serverless hosting, autoscaling…)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to apply
To apply: http://app.jobvite.com/m?3707wmwB